Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Try to start the computer, it remains blank.  (Read 2863 times)

Kolbe

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Try to start the computer, it remains blank.
    « on: October 26, 2010, 08:58:03 AM »
    I can make it to the screen to select safety modes etc., and have tried both regular safety and safety with networking, but all roads seem to lead to this blank screen staring at me.

I run Windows XP, and had just finished a computer scan using Avast that had detected two threats, choosing to delete them both. This was done, I closed the antivirus and then restarted the computer, which came up with the blank screen. I've restarted it multiple times, always with the same result.

Can you please help? I'm sorry if I miss a lot of information, I'm not exactly skilled with computers.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Try to start the computer, it remains blank.
    « Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 09:07:39 AM »
    You can try a repair install (boot to the XP CD and choose the second repair option). XP will install on top of itself. If it is successful you'll need to do two things afterward:

1) Go to Windows Update and download and install all updates and
    2) Follow the instructions in the following link and post your logs in the thread you create (NOT in this thread) to make sure your system is no longer infected:
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

If it does NOT work there are some things we can try to retrieve your data, but you may be relegated to a format and reinstall.

Kolbe

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 07:50:03 PM »
      Thanks for taking the time to reply. Would the XP reinstall keep the hard drive safe or would it have the same effects as a format?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 07:54:39 PM »
      Reinstall of XP

NOTE: Done properly all your apps and data will remain intact...
      NOTE 2 : Make 1 mistake and all your apps and data will be gone...but you will have a fresh clean install of XP...

I suggest reading thru it completely 1st and printing out a reference copy before starting...

Best of Luck.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 05:46:18 AM »
      Thanks for taking the time to reply. Would the XP reinstall keep the hard drive safe or would it have the same effects as a format?
      It is NOT the same as a format and if your system is infected it would still be infected after a repair install. That's why I said the second step would be to go to our malware forum and follow the instructions in the quoted thread.