Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how prevent users from deleting or saving files  (Read 4768 times)

cfmoore

Topic Starter

Rookie

how prevent users from deleting or saving files
    « on: October 28, 2010, 11:46:28 PM »
    I want to place one stand alone computer in a public area that people can use to look for and view photographs.  MS ACCESS, completely meun driven, will be the means to locate and display thumbnail with a button to display a full sized photo.  IrfanView will be the program to display the photos.  In doing so, I do not want anyone to be able to do anything else, such as save or delete.  Changing file property to read only does not prevent a deletion for happening. 

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: how prevent users from deleting or saving files
    « Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 08:01:19 AM »
    There is a program called DeepFreeze that will restore the computer to a certain state everytime it's rebooted. It won't prevent them from saving/deleting, but when there is a problem you can just reboot to restore the state.
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 08:05:13 AM »
      Another alternative, if you want to go with free utilities, is Microsoft's own SteadyState:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=d077a52d-93e9-4b02-bd95-9d770ccdb431&displaylang=en

Although SteadyState is being discontinued, it should work just fine for your purposes...
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Sid

Apprentice
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 09:25:46 AM »
        You could use permissions to prevent them from deleting, assuming you're using NTFS as the filesystem.

cfmoore

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 07:02:26 PM »
          Sid - your idea is probably the best one but I will try Killer255s idea also.  When I tried to schedule the task a system error resulted when I clicked the finish button with msg  "Unable to establish existance of account specified".  So one problem solved now I need to work on the other