Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: deleting previous version  (Read 3484 times)

drnithya86

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    deleting previous version
    « on: October 29, 2010, 11:01:08 PM »
    Hi am using windows 7. i would like to delete the previous version of uTorrent folder. how to do it?
    the folder appears in c drive under appdata. when i right click the properties it shows me a folder under the previous version. options are available to restore and open it, but there is no option to delete it. the folder has the list of torrents i downloaded before installing new version and i dont want anyone to see it.

talontromper

Hopeful
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: deleting previous version
    « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 01:47:01 AM »
    Hold the shift key, and drag it into the recycle bin. it will ask if you permanently want to delete? click yes.
    "One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

drnithya86

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 08:45:58 AM »
      Am not able to drag the previous version. the new folder can be deleted. but each time i download something in torrent another new folder is created under which the properties again display the previous version folder.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 08:51:43 AM »
      Try deleting them in safemode...
      Get rid of utoorent if you want a clean machine....
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kdxman

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 09:35:24 AM »
      Uninstalling Utorrent won't make your pc cleaner.

For the original poster, there is third party programs like Revo uninstaller that allows you to delete anything related to one program. In this case Utorrent. It should delete everything related to Utorrent. Then reinstall it.

Do and Advanced Uninstall to remove everything.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 01:50:08 PM »
      From Windows Help:

How are Previous Versions created
      Previous versions are automatically saved as part of a restore point. If system protection is turned on, Windows automatically creates previous versions of files and folders that have been modified since the last restore point was made. Typically, restore points are made once a day. If your disk is partitioned or if you have more than one hard disk on your computer, you need to turn on system protection for the other partitions or disks. Previous versions are also created by Windows Backup when you back up your files.

Notes: Revo Uninstaller will not remove the Previous Version folders. They don't want to remove the current folders, they want to remove the previous ones; these aren't stored anywhere "near" (filesystem wise) the actual folder; they are stored as part of system restore points in System Volume Information.

Because restoring previous versions is really part of system restore (you restore previous versions of the select files, but they all exist in system restore points) you cannot really selectively delete only the previous versions of a single folder.

You can remove ALL previous versions of all Folders by doing this:

• Click start
      • Right-click computer
      • Click properties
      • Click System Protection in the left pane
      • Uncheck the drive you want to remove previous versions for
      Note that this will of course remove all restore points as well.

To make this easier, you can use the built-in Windows Disk Cleanup utility:

• Start Disk Cleanup
      • Choose the "More Options" Tab (you may need to choose the "Cleanup System Files" button on the first tab to run disk cleanup as an admin for this to work properly
      • In this tab, there is a frame titled "System Restore and Shadow copies" There, choose the "Clean up" button. This will (after confirming a "do you want to continue" prompt) delete all but the most recent restore point.

Note that if you delete all but the last restore point, there will still be a single previous version of said folder. However, if you were to delete the folder, and then create a NEW restore point, and then delete all but the most previous (the one just created) there will no longer be previous versions for that folder that contain files from before that restore point.

Another benefit to this is that you get a lot of disk space back. I recovered over 100GB by following these steps myself (to make sure that previous versions for certain folders I was checking were in fact gone). Which is rather nifty.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.