Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Adobe flash player crashed repeatedly  (Read 14946 times)

devorrah

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Adobe flash player crashed repeatedly
    « on: October 31, 2010, 02:51:35 PM »
    I wanted to watch the OSU-Minnesota game last night on ESPN3. I have a new acer laptop with Windows 7 on it, an Intel i3 processor, 4 gb of ram and a 320 gb hard drive. I turned on the game and I would successfully begin watching it but in less than a minute, it crashed. I tried this over and over through the evening but to no avail. I have Adobe 10.1 flash installed and a new Square version for 64 bit computers. I have Shockwave too. I believe I have the latest of everything. So will I ever be able to watch espn3 without the constant interruptions of audio and video again? I appreciate any help I can get.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Adobe flash player crashed repeatedly
    « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 02:59:33 PM »
    OSU won...52 - 10...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 03:05:04 PM »
     ;D

Azzaboi

Apprentice
    • Aaron's Game Zone
      • Aaron's Game Zone
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 03:53:52 PM »
    I apologise for the mods on this forum, most of them are no help at all....

What web-browser(s) are you currently using?
    Do you have any other browser plugins (along side Flash and Shockwave)?
    Do you know if it's also running Java?
    Aaron's Game Zone
    The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 04:07:50 PM »
    I apologise for the mods on this forum, most of them are no help at all....
    If I wasn't here as long as I am, I'd nearly agree with you.

devorrah

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 04:24:56 PM »
      What web-browser(s) are you currently using?Firefox 3.6.12, I have ie 8 and it crashed there too.
      Do you have any other browser plugins (along side Flash and Shockwave)?no but I have Microsoft Silverlight
      Do you know if it's also running Java?yes

I just downloaded Minefield to see if a new browser would help. No it crashed again. Last night I downloaded Google Chrome. It crashed the same. It just takes a few seconds and it crashes. So you have to reload the page and start again.

Azzaboi

Apprentice
      • Aaron's Game Zone
        • Aaron's Game Zone
      « Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 05:55:58 PM »
      Microsoft Silverlight shouldn't be an issue, however the flash plugin can conflict with other plugins as well as Java. Note: Java will cause slowdowns specially with Firefox webpage loading. It also has a number of security holes. Make sure your using the latest version of Java Runtime as well.

Since your using 64bit OS, make sure your web-browsers your using is not also 64bit version (IE8 in this case will have two version). Flash Player does not run well or at all in most 64-bit browsers. If your wanting to use the 64bit IE, first un-install the original and then re-install square (note: this is a beta version - preview release and might have issues, I don't recommend using it yet).

See here for more details about Flash and 64bit: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html

I suggest you clear the temporary internet files and flash cache. Then...

Test your shockwave: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

With shockwave loaded, right click the object and select 'Properties'.
      Select 'Obey Content Settings' and tick 'Allow backward compatiblity', you can also untick 'provide anonymous usages'.

Test your flash plugin install: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

With the flash object loaded, right click it and select 'Settings'.
      If supported by your system ensure 'Hardware Acceleration' is enabled.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager03.html
      and
      http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html
      Under Storage, it will ask how much information the website is allowed to use. This should be just around 100k, increase that to 1MB. Normally this is just used for saving data and doesn't need much, but if it's streaming objects into it or loading too much to your local storage it can lock up or even crash. Ensure 'Never ask again' isn't ticked. Tick 'allow third party flash content' and 'store common flash' components. Click 'Delete all websites' if limited (they will be recreated next time you visit them).

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager08.html
      User protected content, click 'reset license files'. These content licenses are automatically downloaded to your computer, for example, when you rent or purchase the protected content. Flash Player saves these licenses on your computer. If corrupted it can cause crashing to occur, resetting them will just re-download a fresh copy again if needed.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager09.html
      For security reasons, tick 'disable P2P uplink for all' if you don't use any peer assisted networking features or have it on 'always ask'. This can be used to upload files from your computer if enabled.
      Aaron's Game Zone

devorrah

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 12:25:44 PM »
        I followed the whole procedure that you gave including reinstalling Firefox. Well now my flash player is working on the espn3 site. I am very grateful for your help, Azzaboi. I will definitely come back to this site again and I will also tell my computer friends about it. Thanks again.

Azzaboi

Apprentice
        • Aaron's Game Zone
          • Aaron's Game Zone
        « Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 04:57:49 PM »
        No problems, glad you got it working, enjoy your show!  :)
        Aaron's Game Zone

devorrah

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 07:14:17 AM »
          Unfortunately, the problem is not solved yet. Yesterday I went to espn3 to watch a tennis match. After watching for a few minutes, the same adobe flash has crashed message came up. I admit it lasted much longer this time, but it happened again nevertheless. Any more suggestions?

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
          What happens if you use a different browser (ie, Firefox)?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 08:00:37 AM »
          And how much RAM is installed in this machine and what type of internet connection ? ?

devorrah

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 08:59:09 AM »
            It is a new Acer laptop which I bought in April with 4 gb of ram, a 320 gb hard drive and an intel i3 processor. Yes I have tried various browsers such as Google Chrome, Minefield and Internet Explorer. The exact same thing happened in each one of them when I went to espn3 and tried to watch an event.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 09:12:42 AM »
            what type of internet connection ? ?

devorrah

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 10:48:33 AM »
              Verizon dsl is my internet connection.

Azzaboi

Apprentice
              • Aaron's Game Zone
                • Aaron's Game Zone
              « Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 12:09:02 PM »
              I assume it's only crashing with high volume streaming on flash?
              Do you have multiple web-pages open at a time?
              Check to make sure your net isn't cutting out sometimes. Are you using a wi-fi signal or wired?

Do you use any anti-virus scanners like AVG which has a web link scanner? They might be interferring while doing their scan.

Update your graphic card drivers to the latest version (if not already) as it might be an issue with 'graphic' hardware acceleration on flash.

Also note:
              Mozilla is urging all users to update to Firefox 3.6.6 in order to fix performance slowdowns and problems with the most recent Adobe Flash plugin version 10.1.63.54, installed as part of Flash Player 10.1. Wrote in a blog post that Firefox 3.6.6 brought along enhancements to the crash protection feature, first introduced in Firefox 3.6.4.

Crash protection, also called out-of-process plugin support, basically allows you to reload the web page when a plugin like Flash or Silverlight becomes unresponsive rather than bring down the entire browser. Firefox 3.6.6 simply extends the amount of time it’ll wait before terminating unresponsive plugins:

Following the release of Firefox 3.6.4 we heard from some users, mainly those using older computers, that they sometimes expect longer periods of non-responsiveness from plugins, especially with games. For these users the default timeout of 10 seconds was too short. To address this, we increased the amount of time Firefox waits for a plugin to respond before terminating it from 10 to 45 seconds.

http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2010/06/26/firefox-3-6-6-now-available-for-download/

It looks like a lot of people might be having issues with the latest version of flash crashing:
              http://forums.adobe.com/thread/666489?tstart=0
              Aaron's Game Zone

devorrah

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 02:42:03 PM »
                I tried again today to watch espn3 on my laptop. Invariably the program crashed after a few minutes. Also, it will stop or lag often as I watch. I have tried reinstalling firefox 3.6.12 which is supposed to have crash protection. I have reinstalled over and over adobe flash player the latest version. I have gone into adobe settings and unchecked hardware acceleration and I have changed it to 1 mb. Nothing is working. This is very aggravating as there are tennis tournaments coming up I would like to watch on my computer, etc. I saw in the forum that many people have had this problem and no one knows how to fix it. Any new ideas from anyone? I have dsl internet connection on an acer laptop with 4 gb of ram, 320 gb hard drive and wireless is in the house but I am fully wired up to my connection.  Thanks for any help I get.

Allan

• Mastermind
                « Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 02:58:37 PM »
                I hate to pass the buck, but I suggest you contact Verizon support and see if they have any thoughts.

soybean

Genius
                • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                • Computer: Specs
                « Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 03:15:54 PM »
                A very recent update to Flash Player is available. It's version 10.1.102.64.

andyyoung2002

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 05:42:22 AM »
                I had the same problem with flash player crashing when viewing events on espn3.  I decided to uninstall flash player and reinstall it.  I discovered that I actually had flash 10 and flash 10.1 installed.  Apparently when I upgraded to flash 10.1 it left the old version behind, too.  So I uninstalled both.  Then I ran a registry scan and repair.  I also discovered that there is a developers release for flash 10.2.  You can find it here:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/

So far, this seems to have resolved my issue.  Flash not longer crashes, and version 10.2 has very good performance!

Hope this helps.