Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I need advice on installing second hard drive  (Read 2670 times)

amy day

I need advice on installing second hard drive
« on: August 03, 2005, 09:04:05 PM »
I have an extra hard drive and I want to install it on my computer for extra space. I know how to put it in and hook it up but someone said I would have to install drivers.True or not? ...so do I just install it and delete all the software and OS on it and go ,or is there more to it than that?

???
Thank you
Amy Day

Raptor

Re: I need advice on installing second hard drive
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 07:32:28 AM »
Hello, Amy.

I will assume that the extra Hard Disk Drive is used for storage, correct?

Follow the steps written below if that is the case:

1. Turn off computer and disconnect it from the power grid.
2. Take precautions against Electro-static discharge
3. Remove the computer casing
4. Handle the HDD with care when inserting it.

Now depending on the configuration on your PC:

If you plan on connecting the Hard Disk Drive to the same IDE channel as the HDD allready installed, set the new HDD to Slave and the HDD allready installed to Master.

The same applies to the second channel. However, the second channel (IDE 2) could be empty and you would need to set the drive to Master.

(Jumper instructions can be found on top of the HDD)

In case of a SATA HDD (Thin orange cable), you do not need to bother with Master/Slave or Cable Select as these are not present.

6. Once the Hard Disk Drive is fastened and connected to the Power Supply Unit and the Mainboard, it is safe to reconnect the computer to the power grid. You may wish to keep the case door open to see if no problems occur when booting the computer.

Windows should automatically detect the Hard Disk Drive. You may, however, need to partition it by going to:

1. Right click on My Computer
2. Manage
3. Storage
4. Disk management

I hope that this information is adequate, should you require more instance do not hesitate to inquire.

amy day

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 09:29:50 AM »
Ok they are installed on same IDE and slave for new one master for old one. Went to disk management and it has the old one as..disk 0 drive c healthy.
The new one is under ..disk 1 basic unallocated.

Where did I go wrong??? Or is this where I am supposed to partition it? If so how do you do that?

Thank you
Amy Day

amy day

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 09:48:09 AM »
Alright,I figured it out. I reread your post and assumed that you partition it somehow in disk management and finally found it.

Thank you for your help.
;D

Amy Day

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 11:37:10 AM »
No problem, I indeed forgot to mention that you also need to format and partition the HDD before you can use it.