Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: correct processor for playing PC games  (Read 4666 times)

LAM168

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Experienced
    correct processor for playing PC games
    « on: November 02, 2010, 11:09:36 AM »
    My son wants to buy a game (Fallout New Vegas) that needs a Core 2 Duo processor to work. Won't an AMD athlon do the job?

Ironman

Hopeful
    • Virtus, Veneratio, Fidelitas
      • Yes
      • My Personal Site
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: correct processor for playing PC games
    « Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 12:12:31 PM »
    You need at least an Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.5GHz or an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5800+.

The minimum system requirements are here:
    http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=589&game=Fallout:%20New%20Vegas

But I advise that you don't play games on minimum system requirements.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 12:35:24 PM »
    Fallout new Vegas system requirements:

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=589&game=Fallout:%20New%20Vegas

EDIT: beaten to the punch I was... same link too, heh.

as Ironman said; it's best not to try to play games using the minimum requirements. Also the graphics card is at least as important as the CPU :)
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

LAM168

Topic Starter

Rookie
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
      Thank you both for your input. I thought the AMD was better than the 2Core Duo but I guess it matters on the version as well. He can't keep up!!

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 07:57:03 PM »
      Actually, the requirements listed on that page are not minimum, they're "based on recommended system requirements ".

Here are the actual minimum requirements. Again, these are the minimum requirements to run the game, but the player will get a mediocre experience playing this way, but the game will run on its lowest graphic settings.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+
      RAM: 2 GB
      Hard Drive: 10 GB free space
      Video Memory: 128 MB
      Video Card: nVidia GeForce 6600 / ATI Radeon X1300
      Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 08:51:27 PM »
      Considering I need to close almost every single program I'm running in order to get either FO3 or New Vegas to run for more then 10 minutes without crashing and even then I still occasionally get jerky animation at times, and my system is way past the recommended requirements, I'm going to say that YMMV with regards to requirements on any game whatsoever. It depends who choses the requirements, I guess. Some may define "minimum" as the lowest possible specification for the executable to run at all, with no regards to the actual playability (say hello to 640x480 on the lowest detail settings in some scenarios with that one). Truth be told, I never bother with system requirements at all. I've had games whose minimum requirements almost double my PCs requirements run full speed with no problems with detail turned up, and I've had games whose recommended requirements are essentially half what I have in every respect run as slow as molasses. My method is to install the game and try to play it. too slow? reduce resolution/detail extra graphics and other effects as necessary until it does. Of course my machine can usually run even the very newest games just fine, so perhaps I'm more jaded against requirements since I never have to look at them.

Thank you both for your input. I thought the AMD was better than the 2Core Duo but I guess it matters on the version as well. He can't keep up!!

Thing is, your original post was Vague- you asked if an AMD Athlon would do the job. The original AMD Athlon was released in 1999, and no doubt has no hope of getting anywhere near any requirements for semi-modern or modern games. Basically, only the newer Athlons would do the job, and since you haven't supplied any details as to the actual Athlon in question here it's impossible to say wether it meets the listed minimum or recommended requirements.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.