Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Frustrated with Browser Language  (Read 8454 times)

hockeysticks

Topic Starter

Beginner

Frustrated with Browser Language
    « on: November 03, 2010, 12:40:17 AM »
    I am a native English-speaking Canadian living in Japan.  All of my PCs have English operating systems.  However, when using most browsers and search engines, the Japanese versions always seem to come up ion my screen. 

I don't want the Japanese versions of Google, MSN, Yahoo, etc...  I want the English .com versions.  Is there anything I can do so that each and every time I open a browser I can get the English .com sites rather than the Japanese ones?

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Frustrated with Browser Language
    « Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 10:52:03 AM »
    This is probably not the best option because your speed will be limited to the proxy speed, but if you have firefox, you can set it up to use a proxy. Set it up with a proxy in the US or Canada, then your search engines will appear in the right language.

To setup a proxy:

Find a free proxy that gives you an IP and port and is located in US or Canada, then, in firefox...

Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network -> Settings

Click Manual Proxy

Type in the IP and port of the proxy and press OK.

*You may have to try several different proxies before you find a good one*
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 10:28:21 AM »
    What's happening is these websites are reading your location and automatically choosing the best location for you. Stopping it is different for every website. I get the same thing here (located in Thailand).

For example, with Google, when you type in google.com, it usually directs you to google.co.jp, right? Fine, once it does that, look for the "Google.com in English" link, usually located to the bottom right. This will direct you to Google.com, in English, and it should always direct you there in the future (until you delete the cookie that tells it to do that).

I know MSN and Yahoo have language settings somewhere, I believe they're hidden in a little link on most pages or buried in the options somewhere. I changed mine a while back and don't remember the details, but they no longer come up in Thai. Some of them might have to do with where you told it you lived, so check that and set it to Canada. I know more than a couple did this to me and I had to set them to the US to get English.

Unfortunately, there are some websites that just don't give you any option. I guess they assume you are in Japan, so you must speak Japanese and therefore they force feed you that version of the site (Windows Live Messenger is guilty of this). As far as I know, there is no fix for this unless you do as Linux711 mentioned by using a proxy to make whatever service think you are somewhere you're not. However, in most cases, there is either an option on the main page, or it's buried in the options somewhere.

Toy around with it and see what you can work out. If you have questions about how to change the settings for a specific site, you could Google the site name and "language settings" or something. If you can't find anything, let us know and maybe we can find the answer.

kevin998

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 04:38:39 PM »
      I noticed the same thing when I traveled to Jordan a couple of months ago. I got the Arabic version of Google. Since I'm a US citizen that doesn't speak Arabic, it wasn't very useful for me.

Like quaxo mentioned there is a link at the bottom that will take you to the US Google Page.

I did not use any other search engine while I was there, so I can't comment on those, but I would suspect that it would be the same kind of thing.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 05:10:44 PM »
      can't one just go to www.google.ca and get english? (I don't think the locale-specific domains redirect)
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 05:37:53 PM »
      I'm a US citizen that doesn't speak Arabic

Are you implying that those two things are mutually exclusive? What does the fact of you being a "US citizen" have to do with your language skills or knowledge? Why bother mentioning your citizenship?

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 03:47:51 AM »
      Delete all your cookies and then try Google.com to see the English version of your google.

This will put him in the boat he's already in.

can't one just go to www.google.ca and get english? (I don't think the locale-specific domains redirect)

Correct, using any specific Google domain will not redirect you (www.google.ca, www.google.co.uk, www.google.com.tw, etc.). However, if you go to any one of those and click on the "Go to Google.com" link (for English language ones) or the "Google.com in English" link (for non-English ones), it will set a cookie to not redirect you when you go to Google.com.

Anyway, not all Google search pages work the same, and they also put preference on local pages when listing results. For example, if I go to www.google.co.th or google.com and search for the same thing, the results are different. Google.co.th will return some Thai versions of pages before English ones, which I think the OP is trying to get away from. The Thai version also does this really annoying highlighting thing that in my opinion makes the results hard to read. (like this)

Also, only Google.com does the instant search as you type. All other domains do it the old way. You still get the list of similar searches as you type, but no instant results.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 04:27:06 AM »
      Also, only Google.com does the instant search as you type.

I have disabled that. I don't like it.

Nutcase

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 01:04:53 AM »
        I had same trouble with Google, and eventually now arrive at the following page
        www.google.com/webhpl?hl=en
        (I don't know how I got it) and save that in my favourites.
        The importnt part is the =en at the end.
        I remember that trying to adjust  the language I kept getting the right site
        but it kept jumping out. When you get the right site,copy it immediately on
        paper, then enter it into your favourites by typing, not by trying to stay in the
        site and saving it as a favourite that way. Hope this helps.

hockeysticks

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 06:12:24 AM »
          I can find the English pages when I make the effort.  However, now I am having a major problem in that whenever I download a program (even when using the English website), the Japanese version is being downloaded!  Help!!!  I need this to stop!

Like I said, I can find the English search engines with some effort.  But the Japanese downloads are pissing me off.

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          « Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 11:15:37 AM »
          This has to do with the language options of your operating system. A lot of programs look at those and automatically select a language for you to view a program or installer in. You have most likely downloaded the correct file, the program is just loading a different language file.

Changing these options differs slightly depending on your operating system, but generally these options are found in the control panel, under something like "Language options". (If you can't find this, tell me what OS you're using and I'll give you more detailed instructions how to find it.)

Once you find it, change your option for "Language for non-unicode programs" to "English (Canada)". I believe this is the one that inserts "Eh" at the end of every sentence. Haha sorry, just a joke. Not exactly sure how "English (Canada)" differs from "English (United States)". Anyway, see if you can find that option and if it helps. (You might need to reboot before the settings will take.) If it doesn't work, come on back and there's a few other things we can try. (Also, mention your OS if you need more help. I can give you more specific instructions that way. :) )

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 12:32:06 PM »
          Not exactly sure how "English (Canada)" differs from "English (United States)"

It's the same as the US layout- at least, the keyboard is.

the date/time and monetary formats are different. I don't know anybody who actually changes the setting to Canadian; usually it's just left on U.S English.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 01:02:34 PM »
          Not exactly sure how "English (Canada)" differs from "English (United States)".

It types "eh" at the end of each sentence.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 01:30:05 PM »
          It types "eh" at the end of each sentence.

Quaxo just said that...

Salmon Trout

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 01:38:12 PM »
          Quaxo just said that...

So he did. I missed that. Sorry.

hockeysticks

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 01:38:35 AM »
            Quaxo--  You hit the nail on the head and were dead right on this one -- thanks!  The language for non-unicode programs did the trick.  Now I can download stuff in English.  In addition, it reverted some of my applications that had been running in Japanese back to English.  For example, my touchpad control was in Japanese but reverted back to English after I made the change.  Several people had suggested several things but you are the one with the best (and most simple) solution!
            Thanks again.

quaxo

Guru
              • Yes
            « Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 01:52:32 AM »
            Ok, glad you were able to find that setting and get it all sorted out. If you have any more trouble, swing on back by.  :)

hockeysticks

Topic Starter

Beginner

HDMI ISSUE!
              « Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 02:52:59 AM »
              I was trying to figure out the best forum category to post this one.  My new Acer laptop has an HDMI slot.  So, I went online and bought a 2-meter HDMI cable on Amazon (thus saving a load of money because they cost a fortune in the stores here!).  I hooked it up to my Sharp TV and I can't seem to get a full-screen picture.  I have tried adjusting the screen resolution with no success.  I can't get the picture on my 26" screen to be full size. 

For the past couple of years I've simply been using the separate video and audio connections and I've had no trouble getting a full-screen picture.

Any suggestions?

quaxo

Guru
                • Yes
              « Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 05:12:08 AM »
              What model is your laptop?

Salmon Trout

Re: HDMI ISSUE!
              « Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 05:12:28 AM »
              I can't get the picture on my 26" screen to be full size.

You are supposed to start a new thread, and not simply tack your question on the end of another one. In any case, "Internet browsers" is so not the best category to post a query about HDMI. You may need to go into your display driver control centre (possibly ATI Catalyst?) and adjust the HDMI underscan percentage. ATI set this to 10% by default I believe.

hockeysticks

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2010, 06:54:48 AM »
                Not sure where the display driver control centre is.  My machine is an Acer Aspire Timeline series model 1830T-3425.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2010, 07:04:41 AM »
                Try the Start Menu. Look for Intel Graphics Media Accelerator. Better to find Acer laptop forum, ask there.