Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to sytematically check for dead hardware?  (Read 2184 times)

Aelric

Topic Starter

Rookie

How to sytematically check for dead hardware?
    « on: November 04, 2010, 06:05:23 AM »
    Ok, so I've just put my desktop PC through a bit of transit. When I got all the pieses back together and rebuilt it in a new case, I plugged in the monitor and got nothing. The system seems to be running, but I have no clue how to check. All I see is no input.

My first suspicion so the mode was wrong, so I made sure the monitor was set to DVI, which is all my system has, and still nothing. So I swapped to vga, plugged the monitor into my laptop and it works like a dream. So, Monitor is not the problem.

So, now I'm in a situation where I'd rather not go to the crooks at the electronic mall to test the system, but I don't seem to have any other way to test the hardware and see if my GPU is fried, my Motherboard is busted or my CPU is toast. I'm afraid I can only give specs by memory on this one, as I have no access.

GPU: Xenon nVidia GTX 260
    CPU: Intel core 2 duo
    Motherboard: Asus P5Q
    Mish mash of RAM.

Anyway, I think it's a lost cause, but any help is always appreciated. Thanks.

GW

Rookie

• Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: How to sytematically check for dead hardware?
    « Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 10:25:47 AM »
    Have you checked all the connections and removed and reseated the video card?
    GW

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How to sytematically check for dead hardware?
    « Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 12:12:36 PM »
    ... I plugged in the monitor and got nothing. The system seems to be running, ...All I see is no input....
    You're going to have to provide a lot more detail than that.