Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disk Space randomly going down.  (Read 7580 times)

robles56

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Beginner
    Disk Space randomly going down.
    « on: December 06, 2010, 05:51:18 PM »
    I don't know why, but my computer lowered it's space from 20.1 GB free to 15.1 free in 2 days. I didn't download anything at all, just let my friend play a FPS on my computer (already installed and no patches came out that day) called A.V.A. by Ijji. I know it's a safe game without viruses, so I know it's not the problem. I recently ran defraggler, about 2 weeks ago and it cleared 10 gb off my hard drive, so I was like "alright!" I then installed A.V.A. and ended with with I think about 22 GB free. I ran defraggler again to hopefully get even more space, but it ended up actually TAKING up space. After that my hard disk space has randomly gone down.

Additional Details
    I have Windows Vista Home Premium and my Malwarebytes said nothing was found and I stopped Nod32 halfway since nothing showed up too and I was tired of waiting.

My computer space after virus scanning is 14.9 GB. It just went down some more.

I system restored my computer to 11/30 and it went to 14.2 GB, then uninstalled a few things to make it 14.8 GB. Now it just randomly dropped to 14.5 GB. What's happening?

Update #1
    My space has now gone down to 12.8 GB. What's happening??
    « Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 06:03:46 PM by robles56 »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Disk Space randomly going down.
    « Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 10:42:46 PM »
    robles56,
    You should already know that we need more information.
    What make of PC do you have.
    Which OS do you have.
    Name all AV software you are using.
    Is your PC always on-line?
    Are you using lime wire or other P2P?
    What is the size of your disk drive?
    Why not git a bigger Drive? No, that is not a joke. Having only 12 GB spare is small  by current standards. Except for a net book.

Sykes

Beginner

• Nice Guy :)
      • Tricks Guide
    « Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 11:53:04 PM »
    I suspect below said could be the issue  ;D

ISSUE : Hard Disk space is getting reduced on a daily basis in Windows Vista

CAUSE: The disk space is used by the System Restore points to store the data.

RESOLUTION:

Disable the System Restore temporarily to get the lost Hard disk space back. On doing that, the System Restore points already created will be lost. To prevent this from happening again, reduce the size of disk space used by the System Restore points. To do that, type the following command at the command prompt:

vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /Maxsize=3GB

In the above command, 3GB refers to the size used by the Restore point. We can change it accordingly.

************************************************************************************

OR

Please disable the System Restore temporarily to get the lost Hard disk space back. On doing that, the System Restore points already created will be lost. To prevent this from happening again, reduce the size of disk space used by the System Restore points. To do that, type the following command at the command prompt:

1. Click Start
    2. From the Start menu Click All programs followed by Accessories
    3. On the Accessories menu Right Click on the Command Prompt option
    4. From the drop Down menu that appears, click the Run as administrator option
    5. When the Command Prompt window opens type

In the above command, 3GB refers to the size used by the Restore point. We can change it accordingly. If all goes well you should see a message saying 'Successfully resized the shadow copy storage association". Your System Restore shadow storage has now been resized. This will solve the issue for sure.

Please refer the web links provided below to find out why this issue is happening and how to solve it:

http://vistahelp.blogspot.com/2007/08/how-to-reduce-disk-space-used-by-system.html

http://www.watchingthenet.com/how-to-reduce-disk-space-used-by-windows-vista-system-restore.html

http://www.petri.co.il/using_backup_status_and_configuration_in_vista.htm

Take care

SiRu

Have a good day

My Blog: http://www.tricksguide.com/

Sykes :)

robles56

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 02:01:47 PM »
      "robles56,
      You should already know that we need more information.
      What make of PC do you have. I don't know what you mean, but my computer is a Vostro 200 by dell
      Which OS do you have. Windows Vista
      Name all AV software you are using. MBAM (free one), Nod32 2.7 (guy who fixed up my computer last time for a better video card put it for me for free)
      Is your PC always on-line? Yes, I always have internet on.
      Are you using lime wire or other P2P? No, I download any P2P thing except ONE file, Fraps, a recorder for video games, which my friend also downloaded and has no problems.
      What is the size of your disk drive? 74.4 GB
      Why not git a bigger Drive? No, that is not a joke. Having only 12 GB spare is small  by current standards. Except for a net book." I'm considering custom building a new pc later, but for now I really need this computer.

Thanks.

I checked that i have used up (checking all my c: files, and added them up) comes up as 50.25 GB used up (my own calculations, clicking on properties on every
      folder in C:), and the computer says there are 59.9 GB used. That's about 9.60 GB used that doesn't show up in my calculations, which I'm sure are accurate. Why is this happening?

robles56

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 02:05:14 PM »
        I suspect below said could be the issue  ;D

ISSUE : Hard Disk space is getting reduced on a daily basis in Windows Vista

CAUSE: The disk space is used by the System Restore points to store the data.

RESOLUTION:

Disable the System Restore temporarily to get the lost Hard disk space back. On doing that, the System Restore points already created will be lost. To prevent this from happening again, reduce the size of disk space used by the System Restore points. To do that, type the following command at the command prompt:

In the above command, 3GB refers to the size used by the Restore point. We can change it accordingly.

************************************************************************************

OR

Please disable the System Restore temporarily to get the lost Hard disk space back. On doing that, the System Restore points already created will be lost. To prevent this from happening again, reduce the size of disk space used by the System Restore points. To do that, type the following command at the command prompt:

1. Click Start
        2. From the Start menu Click All programs followed by Accessories
        3. On the Accessories menu Right Click on the Command Prompt option
        4. From the drop Down menu that appears, click the Run as administrator option
        5. When the Command Prompt window opens type

In the above command, 3GB refers to the size used by the Restore point. We can change it accordingly. If all goes well you should see a message saying 'Successfully resized the shadow copy storage association". Your System Restore shadow storage has now been resized. This will solve the issue for sure.

Please refer the web links provided below to find out why this issue is happening and how to solve it:

http://vistahelp.blogspot.com/2007/08/how-to-reduce-disk-space-used-by-system.html

http://www.watchingthenet.com/how-to-reduce-disk-space-used-by-windows-vista-system-restore.html

http://www.petri.co.il/using_backup_status_and_configuration_in_vista.htm

Take care

SiRu

I ran defraggler earlier and I think it deleted my restore points for me, but not sure, because I got 10 gb freed after defragging.  When I tried system restoring before, I only had 3 restore points. Also, my memory is going down randomly up and down, without shutting down or anything.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 02:14:18 PM »
        1) Defragging does not delete restore points
        2) If you want to see what is using disk space download and run treesize (http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/)

robles56

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 02:15:26 PM »
          Ok... Something interesting happened. After I did what the above guy said about shadow thing, my free disk space went back up to 22 GB.
          If it stays like this, I'll be happy. I hope the whole thing was a glitch or something! For now, please give answers until I confirm it has stayed at 22 GB.

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 02:21:42 PM »
          Nothing interesting at all. That command reduces the space allotted to System restore. When you ran the command you deleted old restore points.

Do as I said and download and run treesize if you want to see where the space is being used.