Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HARD DRIVE ISSUE  (Read 3616 times)

shaukath

Topic Starter

Rookie

HARD DRIVE ISSUE
    « on: November 04, 2010, 09:41:28 AM »
    Hello,
    My PC has one hard drive with two partition.   The C: drive has only 2.72 GB free space and the D: drive has 92.7 GB free space left.    As the D: drive has a lot of space available, I want to download and run the programs from there.   Today, I downloaded Real Player Free to D:drive.   After downloading, a window opens and asked me to run it.   When I clicked the Run it opened from C: drive where I do not have enough disk space left.    Downloading and running a program in D:drive is what I want to do.   Please guide me how to accomplish it.   Thanks a lot.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: HARD DRIVE ISSUE
    « Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 09:44:50 AM »
    You should download and use Easeus Partition Master to move free space from d: to c:

For now, you can use disk cleanup and delete all but the most recent restore point to free up space.

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 12:39:24 PM »
    You should first do as Allan suggested and run the disk cleanup program, but afterward to insure that the drive will not continue to fill up, copy and paste the following into notepad and save as .bat

Code: [Select]
    @echo off
    set /p progpath=Type the location for your program files:
    md "%progpath%"
    reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion /v ProgramFilesDir /t REG_SZ /d "%progpath%"

This code will change the default location for your programs, so if you install any new programs after this, they will by default go into the d: drive or where ever you specify.

To free up more space you can also move your My Documents folder to the d: drive:
    Start
    Right Click My Documents
    Click Properties
    Click Target Tab
    Click Move
    Make a new folder on d:
    Press OK
    Say Yes when it asks to move
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 12:46:30 PM »
    1) None of the above will be necessary if you choose to use a partition manager to increase the size of c: drive
    2) Further, in order to install programs on d: drive, all you need to do is choose d: as the location when you install any program. You do not need to make any changes to the registry if you prefer not to.

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 01:00:08 PM »
    None of the above will be necessary if you choose to use a partition manager to increase the size of c: drive

Right, I know. Just thought I could provide another option.

Further, in order to install programs on d: drive, all you need to do is choose d: as the location when you install any program.

This is for those installation programs that don't let you choose. Even if it does let you choose, it's easier to not have to type a path each time.
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 02:44:09 PM »
    I'd buy another larger HDD to suit your needs...or do some serious housekeeping which sounds like it's in order...
    Running apps from another drive/partition can be done...but it's messy and very often problematical.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

dwebnov10

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 06:38:33 AM »
    There are chances that your C drive may have many temporary files which is created during program installation (sometimes, the clean up application on the installer may not remove those temporary files).  Check the folder "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp" and see whether you have chunks of files there..  You may just remove those files in order to free up more space. 

Also check for the temporary internet files folder at "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files" and remove the items which you no longer need in your internet cache (If your settings are set to Hide protected operating system files, then you may not see this folder in your windows explorer window. In that case, just type the folder name in the address bar and you can access the contents inside the folder).

Anyway, if you just want to alter the space available on your partitions, you may use many useful tools available for that.

jwb81859

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 01:35:08 PM »
    you might want to go into your add/delete programs and look to see if there are programs you just do not use or need anymore and delete those...that will free up space as well. Make sure you get rid of Temp files. They take up a lot of space. 8)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 01:49:44 PM »
    None of these suggestions will help if the drive is not large enough for his needs...
    Step 1: Do your housekeeping...
    Step 2 : Get a larger drive that will fit your needs...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "