Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ActiveX/Java  (Read 2557 times)

WalterLes

ActiveX/Java
« on: August 02, 2005, 02:54:03 PM »
My daughter tried to enroll in some college courses online. Her application was rejected because of Java settings on our computer.
I've verified  that Java v.1.1.4 is installed on the computer. I tried to install v.1.1.5.0_o4 but the installation bogged down approximately half way through.There were no follow up details indicating the problem.I am assming that I have some corrupt/missing activex/java files.
Can someone suggest a remedy for my problem? Thank you.

Raptor

Re: ActiveX/Java
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 03:01:32 PM »
Do you require ActiveX for the website? If you do not, look into Mozilla Firefox. Which is a much better alternative for searching the web than Internet Explorer.

There are ActiveX plug-ins available for Firefox, though.

As for your problem: Have you tried the following?

1. Start
2. Settings
3. Control Panel
4. Internet Options
5. Security tab
6. Reset all security zones to Default

And/or

1. Start
2. Settings
3. Control Panel
4. Internet Options
5. Advanced
6. Restore Defaults button.

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 05:43:32 PM »
What college is this!most supply disks!

WalterLes

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 08:38:17 PM »
I have tried to install Java v.1.1.5.0_04 at all settings combinations you suggested. The results were the same in all cases  i.e  Windows Installer starts to download  the Java files then stops after about 24%
completion.

Re: What college is this?  This was only an application for enrollment in the upcoming classes.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 09:07:23 PM »
contact the college for advice........someone there even if its hoilday time!........is this  her pc or the colleges!

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 05:45:33 AM »
I have tried to install Java v.1.1.5.0_04 at all settings combinations you suggested. The results were the same in all cases  i.e  Windows Installer starts to download  the Java files then stops after about 24%
completion.

Re: What college is this?  This was only an application for enrollment in the upcoming classes.

Try Mozilla Firefox

WalterLes

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 12:38:19 AM »
I have installed Mozilla Firefox as you have suggested. I'm in the process of learning to navigate this new os.Raptor, Thankyou for your advice.

Raptor

Re:  ActiveX/Java
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 07:15:36 AM »
I have installed Mozilla Firefox as you have suggested. I'm in the process of learning to navigate this new os.Raptor, Thankyou for your advice.

Browser, not operating system  ;)

Good luck with Mozilla Firefox. Does the website or software you are attempting to use now load?