Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My Transition Away from Ubuntu  (Read 3961 times)

SilentAssasin64

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
My Transition Away from Ubuntu
« on: October 29, 2010, 12:48:37 AM »
Over the past several months I've been getting complacent with my Ubuntu install, for many reasons.  The biggest one being that I felt like I had learned everything I could whilst using that as my primary distro.  Over the past 5 years I've used a variety of Linux distributions; SuSE, Blag, Ubuntu, Slax, CentOS, Puppy, ClearOS, BackTrack, among others.  However, I always went back to Ubuntu for some reason or another, mostly, though, because it was "easy".  That all changed here a few months back.

See, System/Network Administration is the career field that I want to go into (eventually).  I have several friends who are already in this field, so I decided to ask them what some things I could be doing on my own, outside of school, to start preparing for it.  The common denominator between them all was, "Learn Linux".  Since then, Ubuntu just wasn't going to cut it anymore.  I needed something a bit more...raw.

Thus my journey began.  Searching high and low for something that would help me "get my hands dirty", if you will.  This is where I ran into ArchLinux.  I had come across it whilst browsing a "Linux Users, Show Us Your Desktop" thread in another forum.  The thread was filled with all sorts of different setups, configurations, and looks.  Very different from the "cookie cutter" distributions I was used to working with.  My curiosity was spiked.  So I downloaded it and loaded it into a Virtual Machine.

It didn't take long to notice how different it was.  The best way I can describe it was it seemed to throw you into the belly of the best.  No messing around, no added extras, you gotta make it work, or it's not going to type of feel.

Fast forward a few months to today.  I finally made the leap.  Earlier this week I got some new parts for my machine.  So I figured, what better time to ditch Ubuntu altogether when I have to reinstall Windows (for games) anyway?

After several failed attempts at getting the image to boot from a USB Flash Drive, I finally got the installer running.  Then, even after mucking around with it for months, I hit a snag.  The partitioner was much different than what I was used to.  Never had to worry about messing up other installations before in a VM.  Luckily enough, I got by without messing anything up.

Next snag, GrUB failed to detect the BOOT partitions for Arch properly (ironic, yeah?).  So after about 15 minutes of manually editing the entries, I finally got lucky enough to boot into my new CLI system.  From there, it was one more obstacle after another, as Arch only installs the base, and you add everything else to it.  First step was to get sound working, as Fedora 13, Ubuntu 9.10, and the latest OpenSuSE all failed to detect my card properly.  Worked the first time.  Next, video drivers.  I have a nVidia GeForce 9600 GT which I could not install the proprietary drivers for.  Kept getting errors about other packages already being installed and the like.  After some manual file deletion and package installation, that all got worked out too.

The hardest part, contrary to what it may look like, was deciding on a Desktop Environment/Window Manager to use with my new install.  I finally settled on KDE, seeing as how I've never really used it before.  Figured I'll play around with that for a while then shift over to a tiling WM or something.

After about 3 hours I had a working Linux Desktop again.  And I'm happy to say I'm enjoying it so far.  During the few hours that I had been working with Arch in a "real world" (read, not virtual) scenario I learned a lot.  Things such as modules, daemons, dependencies, troubleshooting, management, and such.  Things that I never had to worry about in Ubuntu.  It's been a very positive experience so far, and I hope for it to continue.

The next step is to setup a few virtual servers and start getting my hands dirty on those.  I've been doing SSH and FTP for years, but never mucked around with HTTP or anything.  As of now, I haven't hit above 1.2GB RAM used out of 8GB, so plenty of resources to allocate for this project.  Will keep everyone posted on how the progress goes.
Back In The Game

amalafrida

Greenhorn

• Yes
    • yellowloam
Re: My Transition Away from Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 09:28:43 AM »
Thanks for posting this.  I'm in a similar position.  Too much Ubuntu.  I've played around with Gentoo, LFS, and a few others.  But still with U ... maybe this will spur me on to make a leap.

Looking forward to your next post.

SilentAssasin64

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 06:09:16 PM »
Arch has, yet again, shown me how much of the setup of a Linux machine is done behind the scenes with distros such as Ubuntu and the like.  I ran into three problems getting everything setup with the new installation.

My first issue was getting the proprietary driver installed for my video card, a NVidia GeForce 9600 GT.  After actually reading the error messages I was getting it led me to remove the noeveau open source NVidia driver, install the latest Linux-Headers package, and compile it from there.  All was well afterward.  Not too much of a hassle, just tedious.

Another issue was getting the program TrueCrypt to mount my encrypted file properly.  Now this was a bit more complicated as I had first thought as two issues came into play at the same time. First off, I had to setup 'sudo' so it could mount the encrypted drive.  Without it the process would fail and give an error.  Now I've never actually had to setup sudo before since it was always taken care of in the Ubuntu installation.  A quick Google search gave me the steps to properly configure my user with sudo permissions.

Next problem with TrueCrypt was with a module called 'fuse', which is used when mounting certain types of drives and shares.  Now, I learned a while ago how to manually start modules on command, but have never had to manually add one to the startup.  This was all fixed pretty simply, though, by adding 'fuse' to the Modules section of my rc.conf file.  Done deal.

The final problem, which I've actually encountered before, was with the OpenSSH server.  Turns out that for some reason whenever I do an Arch install (be it virtual or real-world), it doesn't want to let anyone connect via local, LAN, or Internet.  This is fixed, crudely, by commenting out everything in the /etc/hosts.deny file.  I still haven't found a different way of doing this, so if anyone can share some insight on that it would be much appreciated.  I'll get the exact error message and post that as well.

Other than that Arch has been great to use.  Very snappy, responsive, and light.  Which is what I like when using a machine.  Whenever I finally reboot into it again I'm going to be switching from KDE to E17 as my Desktop Environment.  Will keep everyone updates as thing progress.

Thanks for the feedback, amalafrida.  Appreciate it.  Leaving Ubuntu has definitely been a big eye opener to some other, if not better in some cases, alternatives.  Definitely worth the shot migrating to a different distro full time for a while.

EDIT:  amalafrida - I just found this article that talks about some reasons to move over from Ubuntu to Arch and a guide on how to make that transition.  Worth giving a shot.  I'm reading it over now.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 06:22:30 PM by SilentAssasin64 »
Back In The Game

FlyFishing

Greenhorn

• Fly Fishing
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 07:48:32 AM »
What exactly is in your /etc/hosts.deny file?

Often found on a stream or lake, fly fishing. Always careful of the dui penalties after sipping from the flask though!

SilentAssasin64

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 05:43:32 PM »
Nothing now.  I commented it all out.  When I reboot into Arch again I'll post the entire thing.
Back In The Game