Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't get monitor back to normal PLEASE HELP  (Read 2768 times)

lindic

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Can't get monitor back to normal PLEASE HELP
    « on: November 15, 2010, 08:42:11 AM »
    My monitor is "stuck" in what looks like safe mode. The font, icons, etc...are huge, and nothing I've tried is working. I posted this in another forum and no one will answer. I am desperate, I use this computer for work, and am not the only one in the house that needs it. Please help.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Can't get monitor back to normal PLEASE HELP
    « Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 08:43:44 AM »
    First of all, it has nothing to do with your monitor. What changes have you made to resolution or any other software lately?

lindic

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 10:37:34 AM »
      I think I deleted the driver by mistake...?? I was told by someone in the chatroom that I need the driver for ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO. Can you help me with that?

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 10:58:20 AM »
      Is there some reason you didn't mention that in your first post? And how do you delete a driver by mistake?

Regardless - get the driver at this link, download it, install it:
      http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/psearch.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.1&contentType=GPU+Download+Detail&ostype=&keywords=&items=20

lindic

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 11:13:21 AM »
        Not everyone is as knowledgable about computers as you here on this site are, so making the comments you did just make it all the harder. I'm not saying that I deleted it for sure, and to be honest, every person I've talked to here has told me something different. First I needed to reinstall Windows XP, then I needed the driver, the last guy I talked to in the chat told me to download Piriform Speccy, which I did, then he left the chat before he finished telling me what to do, so please understand that for people like me with very basic computer skills only, this is very confusing and frustrating.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 11:16:45 AM »
        Lack of knowledge is something with which we are used to, and that's not a concern. The problem is that at no point have you told us the entire story. If you want intelligent help you need to provide COMPLETE and EXACT details of what you've done and what is going on. Now you've told us that you reinstalled the OS. That's crucial to the issue!!!

Download and install ALL drivers for your system, starting with the chipset driver. You can get that from the website of either your computer manufacturer or your motherboard manufacturer. And stay out of chat support. If you want knowledgeable help come to a forum, not chat.

lindic

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 11:28:49 AM »
          Ok, I downloaded that, now it's asking if I want an express or custom install, and where I want it installed. Can you tell me which to choose please?

lindic

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 11:34:50 AM »
            NO, NO, I didn't reinstall the os, I'm just saying that's what one person told me to do. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to withhold info, I am just so confused and have done and undone so many things I figured it was easier to just give as basic info as possible. Sorry, I'm not trying to make this more difficult than it already is.

I downloaded the driver, but can't get past where to install it, because everything on my screen is so big, I can't ever get the whole page. I am stuck where I was before, it says express or custom, I picked express and then chose my desktop as where to put it because when I chose my computer I got an error message. But I can't see the bottom of the page to see if there's something I need to click on, etc...help!!!

lindic

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 11:44:08 AM »
              OK, I got the install to start, so hopefully this step will get done.

lindic

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 11:46:46 AM »
                Ok, that install is done, now what? I clicked on the icon on my desktop, but I have no idea what to do now???

Allan

• Mastermind
                « Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 01:17:59 PM »
                So you did an "express install"? That's fine I guess. Now reboot. Then right-click on your desktop and choose display properties and set the resolution to something reasonable.

And now you say you did NOT reinstall the OS, but in a post above you said you DID reinstall XP. Which is it?

lindic

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 01:22:54 PM »
                  No, I didn't say that. I said that I've been told a bunch of different things, one of them being to reinstall XP. I didn't do that, because I figured that was a last resort. I will do the next step now, thank you.

lindic

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 01:31:20 PM »
                    Ok, my monitor is back to normal now, but I know there are still quite a few things wrong. Should I start a new post in the virus forum? Thank you very much for helping me with this problem. I appreciate it even if I sound impatient! ;)