Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Desktop problem  (Read 3440 times)

beezneez

Desktop problem
« on: August 05, 2005, 04:41:55 PM »
My Word file icons on desktop have taken on a strange appearance. Instead of the Word logo there is a strange multi-coloured strip across the face of the file. It has also appeared on the 'my documents' folder. Never seen anything like it before. Have scanned for virus but nothing found. Please help! ???

pcdoc4christ

Re: Desktop problem
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 05:01:09 PM »
Beez:

Try right-clicking on the desktop and selecting Refresh from the context menu.

If the problem persists, please answer a few questions:

Were there any changes just prior to this behavior? (for example, did you add a new video card, install new drivers, install a new program, or change the settings on your monitor?)

If not, do you have a guess as to what may be causing the problem?

Regards,
Doc

beezneez

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 06:16:28 AM »
I have already tried refresh but it does not make any difference. No new programs or hardware have been added either. I recently moved some files from a floppy onto desktop which have been affected. However the 'my documents' folder was not included in this action and has still changed appearance. Could it be a virus not detected or something to do with a confusion over the file type causing conflicts? Not sure if this a well known problem but is very puzzling. Would it help if it was possible to send an image of the file or a copy to show appearance?

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 08:12:47 AM »
Can you make a screenshot?

beezneez

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 02:48:48 PM »
Yes, I have a screen shot and is there somewhere I can send it?

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 02:59:38 PM »
Yes, I have a screen shot and is there somewhere I can send it?

Upload it to a website such as http://www.uploadit.org and then use the [code] tags to show us your problem.

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 04:48:37 PM »
More info required! maybe your pc is overheating! <graphics card>