Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Plugging off computer every night?  (Read 5508 times)

Ryder17z

Intermediate
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Plugging off computer every night?
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2010, 06:47:02 AM »
Actually, there is a surge, but it's nothing to bother about, as you always get more power than needed

For example:

My laptop uses a in 18v adapter but if you only connect a voltmeter to it, it will show 19.6v

A car battery has about 13v instead of 12
The cake is a lie...

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2010, 09:25:05 AM »
Nah.. I am talking about Unplugging it from the plug (cutting all source of elecricity) or whateva :p I was wondering about.. could that make a power surge or something like that that would damage my computer? Ive been unplugging it for a month or two now but I am kind of worried..
I believe there's no harm  in unplugging your computer on a daily basis but why not get a surge protector, plug your computer into it, and use the switch on the surge protector instead of unplugging from the wall outlet? 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2010, 12:44:47 PM »
Also, why would unplugging it cause a surge? when did breaking a electrical circuit suddenly make it become more powerful at the last instant?
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2010, 01:18:40 PM »
Also, why would unplugging it cause a surge? when did breaking a electrical circuit suddenly make it become more powerful at the last instant?

Try Googling for "inductive loads"... Switching inductive loads (e.g. motors, solenoids, transformers) can produce high voltage transients. The effect is more pronounced with DC but is still present with AC circuits. In fact breaking any current can cause arcing at the switch contacts which can result in transients.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 02:13:07 PM by Salmon Trout »