Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Extremely Unstable Windows Install  (Read 2598 times)

thquart

Topic Starter

Rookie

Extremely Unstable Windows Install
    « on: November 19, 2010, 05:15:50 AM »
    Hey guys. I'm having serious issues doing a clean install of XP on a brand new HDD.
    First off, here are my specs:

HDD
    -Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
    Video Card
    -XFX PVT98GYDLH GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
    Motherboard
    -MSI K9N4 SLI-F AM2 NVIDIA nForce 500 SLI MCP ATX AMD
    RAM
    -CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    DVD Drive
    -LG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model GSA-H54NK
    Processor
    -AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor ADX6000CZBOX
    Power Supply
    -Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 550W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply with Three 12V Rails

So I've tried tens of times to do a clean install of XP home with a legit retail disk. Sometimes in the install it won't be able to find a file on the disk, sometimes it will blue screen during installation, and sometimes it will actually install, like it did yesterday.

However, when it did successfully install, it was extremely unstable. Windows Update would simply fail to download the files, then IE would crash. Similar with Firefox, which I had to download multiple times because originally it was telling me that the install file was corrupt right after downloading.

As time went on, it became increasingly unstable, with IE constantly crashing. A system process named something along the lines of "windows genuine 32" also crashed a few times.

So, I tried another clean install, clearing the partition and reformatting using the non-fast format option.

I've tried this with a legit XP home install disk and a burned XP pro disk, with similar results. I got XP pro to install once, but it messed up SP2 install and then wouldn't boot from there. Also, XP pro was only recognizing about 123gb of my 1tb drive.

I've just tried to install XP home again, just put in the serial code and get a blue screen with the following information:

A problem has been detected...

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical Information:
    *** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00608991, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8051B0B4)

BIOS Settings:
    HDD as SATA0 primary channel.  I have LBA/Large mode, DMA mode, and Hard Disk SMART all set to auto.
    2 CD drives in 2 secondary IDE channels.

I would appreciate any help as this is driving me absolutely crazy.
    Thanks.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Extremely Unstable Windows Install
    « Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 05:42:21 AM »

thquart

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 11:57:34 AM »
      It turns out one of my RAM sticks was bad. Thanks for the info. I'm running stable now.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 01:58:02 AM »
      It turns out one of my RAM sticks was bad. Thanks for the info. I'm running stable now.

I was just going to type "Sounds like your RAM needs checking." These things made me incline to that notion:

Sometimes in the install it won't be able to find a file on the disk, sometimes it will blue screen during installation, and sometimes it will actually install, like it did yesterday.