Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor is completely black  (Read 2605 times)

asj410

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Monitor is completely black
    « on: November 19, 2010, 09:07:16 PM »
    Hey guys, I apologize if this has been posted before.  I did a search but wasn't able to find anything that sounded that similar to the problem that I have.

The other day, I was starting up my Dell Dimension E520 desktop.  It booted up normally to the password screen.  I typed in my password, and the computer continued booting up.  The desktop background image appeared, the desktop icons loaded, the various programs began loading...and then the monitor suddenly went completely black and its power button changed from green to orange, as if it was in power-saving mode or something.  I wasn't touching the computer at all when this happened.  I tried hitting a couple keys on the keyboard and moving the mouse around, but that didn't help.  I also recycled the power button on the monitor to see if that would help, but it didn't.  It was like the monitor was suddenly disconnected from the computer and wasn't getting a signal anymore.  So I checked the connections, and they all seemed fine.  Since I could no longer see anything, I pushed the power button on the computer terminal to shut it down.  After it was shut down, I tried starting it back up, and it sounded like it was booting up just fine.  Even got the Windows startup chime.  But the monitor was still acting like it wasn't receiving a signal.  It just remained black with an orange light on the power button.  Could this have anything to do with a failed graphics card?  I've had issues with the card in the past, and I'm actually on the third card in three years (and I don't even play video games on it).  The previous card and this current card were both refurbished cards that Dell sent me while my computer was under warranty, and the previous card only lasted two months before it crapped out, so I wouldn't be surprised if this one failed.  I'm actually kind of hoping that that's the problem and it isn't something more serious.

JJ 3000

Egghead
    Re: Monitor is completely black
    « Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 12:14:40 AM »
    Do you have another monitor that you can try?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

TechFixOrg

Rookie
      • Yes
      • TechFix.org
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 12:52:28 AM »
    Yes, You can try a second monitor. or if you have another computer you can try that as well. You could also try a different cable.

asj410

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 08:10:32 AM »
      No, sorry.  I don't have any other monitor.  Do you guys have any guesses as to what the problem might be?  Is there much of a chance that it's the graphics card that's doing this, or is that unlikely?

JJ 3000

Egghead
      « Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 11:24:09 PM »
      You should try to find someone with another monitor that you can borrow to test, or someone with a computer that will let you test your monitor.
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 12:11:35 AM »
      The previous card and this current card were both refurbished cards that Dell sent me while my computer was under warranty, and the previous card only lasted two months before it crapped out
      It might also contibute to your problem. Is there an onboard-card installled that you may wanna do for testing on the same monitor?