Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to install graphics card after it goes down  (Read 3050 times)

kylechanh

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    How to install graphics card after it goes down
    « on: November 23, 2010, 01:53:59 AM »
    Hi All,

Newbie here with a little computer knowledge.  My graphics card has gone out, meaning the display is all jumbled.  I have read the posts on how to install the card, but it seems that I would need to first uninstall existing driver.  But my current display is all jumbled and can't read anything.  Can I just install a new and different graphics card and boot up with existing driver?

I'm running Windows XP that will be using an AGP video card.  The old graphics card is an ATI All-in-Wonder 9600XT.  I'm not doing anymore gaming, so I'm just gonna get some cheap graphics card.  Was thinking that I would need to buy the same card (used off of ebay), but don't really trust buying used sensitive electronic items.

Thanks,

geek hoodlum

Apprentice
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: How to install graphics card after it goes down
    « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 02:25:47 AM »
    Hi kylechanh,

You can use a new graphics card but remember to install the driver as well. If you're not in gaming, you don't need high end cards. But a good one is a good investment. It depends on your usage. ;)

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 03:04:21 AM »
    If you boot into safe mode then Windows will use a generic driver for the new card, you can then install the driver from there.
    Evil is an exact science.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    « Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 03:12:25 AM »
    Newbie here with a little computer knowledge.  My graphics card has gone out, meaning the display is all jumbled.  I have read the posts on how to install the card, but it seems that I would need to first uninstall existing driver.  But my current display is all jumbled and can't read anything.  Can I just install a new and different graphics card and boot up with existing driver?

I'm not sure who said it, but there is absolutely zero requirement and zero reason to uninstall a graphics card driver when you replace the graphics card. At no point will windows try to use the "wrong driver", which I imagine is why people give those "dire warnings" about graphics cards drivers.

When you boot the machine up with a different graphics card, Windows realizes this; it notices that the driver and the hardware no longer match (vendor IDs and all that). and then it tries to install it on it's own; if you were to switch between two different graphics cards and both drivers are installed, Windows finds the "other" driver when you switch cards and boots up just fine with it. If it cannot find the driver, it boots up using generic VGA drivers, which will allow you to install the appropriate drivers for the card.

Note that I have yet to encounter a Graphics Card driver that will install in Safe Mode.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 03:15:15 AM »
    Note that I have yet to encounter a Graphics Card driver that will install in Safe Mode.
    Really, why is that?
    I think I remember doing it in safe mode, but now that you mention my memory could be faulty.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 03:22:22 AM »
    Really, why is that?
    I think I remember doing it in safe mode, but now that you mention my memory could be faulty.

has something to do with them not being able to access the hardware properly, I guess. I know that nvidia installers complain if you try to run them from safe mode. ATI's didn't complain about that specifically but they still refused to install (said that you had to be using the standard VGA driver, which is odd since that's what safe mode uses, heh)

EDIT: although you usually can't install the drivers, you can always uninstall them from safe mode.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 03:33:24 AM »
    EDIT: although you usually can't install the drivers, you can always uninstall them from safe mode.
    That was probably it, uninstalling the driver and then rebooting to install the new one.

Thanks for the catch BC  :D

kylechanh

Topic Starter

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 01:03:37 PM »
      Thanks all.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 01:20:10 PM »
      Remove old card, install new card, power on computer.  Windows will recognize new hardware & provide generic driver so you can see the screen.  Then install new drivers, which will require restart.  Adjust your resolution & color depth, and that's all.