Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: slow uploading or downloading any files to or from my computer  (Read 3360 times)

debodun

Topic Starter

Rookie

slow uploading or downloading any files to or from my computer
    « on: November 26, 2010, 03:48:38 PM »
    My system
    Make: Hewlett Packard
    Model: Pavilion 750n
    Processor & speed: Pentium 4, 1.6 GHz
    SD/RAM: 768 (upgraded form 512 MB)
    Used space – 17.3 GB, free space – 57.1 GB
    Do not know anything about internal hardware – uncomfortable about removing cover and looking inside if I even knew what I was looking at. I bought this used desktop system a little over a year ago, but the last few months have had problems with slow operation. No disks were included, so I can’t re-install OS or run scannow.

Security Software
    Computer Associates security suite includes anti-virus, anti-spyware and a firewall
    SpyBot updated weekly and scanned monthly
    CCleaner –scanned daily
    ATF cleaner- scanned several times a week
    I do not have AdAware – I tried it and it too so long to download and run, I uninstalled it.

Browser
    I use mainly Firefox (currently 3.6.12), Internet Explorer 6.0 also available, but not used much

Symptoms
    1) Very slow uploading or downloading any files to or from my computer, even very small files. Also slow attaching anything to emails. However, this is only the first attempt after reboot. After the first upload, download or attachment, the computer operates at normal speed doing these procedures. It’s like it has to search a while for the folder or file I want to use on the first attempt, then once it’s found it, it just goes back to that folder.
    2) All programs from desktop icons slow to open.
    3) Once in a while, the letter display doesn’t keep up with my typing.
    4) Sometimes II get a  pop-up saying the script has stopped responding, then the computer hangs.

What I have done so far

Run all scans with security software.
    Defrag of hard drive
    Ran Windows error checking program
    ran chkdsk

Results

no viruses, spyware or other errors discovered

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: slow uploading or downloading any files to or from my computer
    « Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 03:58:44 PM »
    1) You do not need to look inside the computer to see what the components are. You can either open device manager to see or use any one of many software apps (Belarc Advisor, Everest, etc).

2) Spybot is worthless (as is AdAware). The current best of breed or MalwareBytes and Super AntiSpyware.

3) CCleaner does nothing. Ditto ATF Cleaner.

4) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

5) Do you use a 3rd party download manager?

5) Let's be 100% certain it's not malware related. Please follow the instructions in the following link and post your logs in the thread you create (NOT in this thread):
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html