Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Application cannot be executed. The file *** is infected.  (Read 2693 times)

apearl

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Application cannot be executed. The file *** is infected.
    « on: November 30, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
    I have a fairly new computer and today it started giving me  a virus alert and whenever i try to run any program it says "Application cannot be executed. The file  **** is infected......."  I saw a post with this same issue and tried to download Rkill, but it's giving me that same error right at the end of the download.  I cannot run any programs or installed software.  All I get is the same error with a different file name in place of the **** stated above.  Please please please can someone help??

Oh.. also, the error is popping up randomly, not just when I try to open a program.

I just realized that I might have posted this in the wrong section.  Here is the link to the post that I found related to my issue.  http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=95177.0
    « Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 08:23:12 PM by apearl »

apearl

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Application cannot be executed. The file *** is infected.
      « Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 09:38:12 PM »
      UPDATE:

I don't know if this hurt me or helped me, but I restarted my computer, did a system restore to a previous time, entered into safe mode, and then restarted normally.  I'm not having quite as bad of a problem, but at the same time, I don't think that got rid of the virus that was causing this.

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/