Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trying to put a new Hard Drive on my laptop- the system won't boot- why?  (Read 4510 times)

GotAProblem

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Hi everyone,

I recently got a virus on my laptop (it called itself cycbot.b), and was told basically to get a new hard drive as the entire system was effectively compromised even if I were to run anti-virus software on it.

Anyway, I've got myself a new hard drive, thrown the old one out, and the problem is simple- when I turn on the laptop, it just reverts to a completely black screen, with the exception of a small flashing line in the top left hand corner. I've put the windows XP disk in the CD-ROM drive and it seems from searching the internet that it should just load the operating system automatically. But it doesn't. :(

From doing a bit more digging, I've gathered I need to press F2 when the system is loading to access the BIOS. I can do this but really have no idea what needs changing (I presume it's something under the 'boot' heading, but there's 8 different options under that heading and I've no idea which one to pick- or even if this is the problem to begin with. If it helps, the 8 different options to boot are (in this order):

1) IDE0: WDC WD3200BEKT-60KA9TO-(S1
    2) IDE1:
    3) IDE2: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7580S-(S
    4) USB FDD:
    5) Network boot: MBA v11.4.1 Slot 0600
    6) USB HDD:
    7) USB KEY:
    8) USB CD/DVD ROM:

Under the heading 'information' in the BIOS, I get this information:

CPU Type: AMD Turion (tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72
    CPU Speed: 2100 MHz
    HDD Model Name: WDC WD3200BEKT-60KA9T0 -(PM)
    HDD Serial Number: WD-WX61A9060153
    HDD Model name: None
    HDD Serial Number:
    ATAPI Model Name: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7580S -(SM)

System BIOS Version: V1.01
    VGA BIOS Version: V010.094.001.004.030789

Serial Number: LXB580X0019221AE551601
    Asset Tag Number:
    Product Name: EasyNote LJ61
    Manufacturer Name: Packard Bell
    UUID: FD6E0479A9A7E547E46400235A967115

I've literally no idea why it won't boot and install the operating system. I can't get on windows or anything like that- the only stuff I can access is in the BIOS.

Any ideas folks? Or is this machine FUBAR and it's time to start anew?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Trying to put a new Hard Drive on my laptop- the system won't boot- why?
    « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 09:05:34 AM »
    Okay, let's start at the beginning. Whoever told you to get a new hd is an idiot. Next - in the bios you need to change to boot order so the cd drive is at the top of the list. Save the change, insert the OS disk in the drive, reboot.

Last - this is a support forum. Everyone who posts here has a problem. In the future, please give your post a subject that related to your question or problem.

GotAProblem

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 09:24:54 AM »
      Okay, let's start at the beginning. Whoever told you to get a new hd is an idiot. Next - in the bios you need to change to boot order so the cd drive is at the top of the list. Save the change, insert the OS disk in the drive, reboot.

Last - this is a support forum. Everyone who posts here has a problem. In the future, please give your post a subject that related to your question or problem.

Which one of the eight boot options is the cd drive? I've just tried setting the boot order with the IDE2: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7580S-(S as the option to boot from (seemed like the most logical choice), and it's got a bit further- the computer started loading all these files, but then it came up with this blue screen error message:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, gollow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF78D2524, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, OX00000000)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've tried booting the computer again and unfortunately the same error message comes up. From what I understand there can't be any viruses on a computer if you've replaced the hard disk.

Does anyone have any idea how I can make sure my hard drive is 'properly configured and terminated'? I doubt it's hard drive corruption as I only got it today.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 09:28:18 AM »
      I assume we're talking about XP? You need to tap F6 when prompted to load sata drivers and then load the sata drivers.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 12:59:16 PM »
      1.  I recently got a virus on my laptop (it called itself cycbot.b), and was told basically to get a new hard drive as the entire system was effectively compromised even if I were to run anti-virus software on it.
      2.  Anyway, I've got myself a new hard drive, thrown the old one out, Any ideas folks? Or is this machine FUBAR and it's time to start anew?
      1.  Nonsense!  You actually believed that contracting a virus requires the destruction of the hard drive?  Virus are treatable.
      2.  There's nothing wrong with the old hard drive, you can format (erase) & reinstall the OS just like you are attempting to do with the new drive.

Looks like you may have a notebook compuer.  You better have all the drivers for the Packard Bell before proceeding.  The old drive may have a restore image in a hidden partition, that's how Dell & HP operate, unsure about PB.