Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP! Diskette drive seek failure??  (Read 3552 times)

seversole27

HELP! Diskette drive seek failure??
« on: December 02, 2010, 05:44:34 PM »
Ok so i have a dell dimention 1100 and when i turn it on i get this screen after the dell splash screen.

Diskette drive seek failure
primary drive 1 not found
secondary drive 1 not found
strike f1 to continue, f2 for setup utility

I thought it was my hard drive so i bought a new one hooked it up and i get the same error, but it says my memmory has changed.
i dont know what to do someone pls help!!!!

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: HELP! Diskette drive seek failure??
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 07:08:28 PM »
Is the replaced HD(with OS) still working? You may need to change your booting sequence under BIOS setup. press default settings and check HD(old) priority as first. If cable jumpers is supported by motherboard on jumper settings, used(cap)it. Make sure all cable connectors are working and properly seated. You may also try disabling diskette drive to check for error messages. If you need to replaced an old HD, make sure you to boot to CD drive first and CD installers are available.

Manual -->  http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim1100/EN/OM/om_en.pdf

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 12:54:30 AM »
From the information you have provided the most obvious conclusion is that something is wrong with the motherboard. We hope that's not the case. Other things are floppy drive itself, the CD-ROM drive and a power supply. And possibly, even your graphics card, if his computer as a separate graphics card.
When this sort of thing happens , here are  procedures technician will use on the most personal computers. First eliminate floppy drive and the CD-ROM drive by removing them completely from the system, removing both the power and data cables. Under those conditions BIOS now  should recognize the hard right even if you don't have jumpers set  properly. Still, make sure the jumpers are set correctly.
The other thing to check is the cable going from the hard drive to the motherboard. The cables normally don't go bad by themselves. Unless you've been pulling on the lately and you broke something.
Sorry to be a bearer of bad news, but if you can't get it to find the hard disk drive, you're in a tight spot.
Oh, check the CMOS battery. Got right time and date? default settings?

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 05:47:55 AM »
What is drive 1 in bios? "Diskette" would indicate your floppy drive, not your hard drive.