Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to enable Primary IDE Channel  (Read 4554 times)

fenderdr

Unable to enable Primary IDE Channel
« on: August 07, 2005, 12:17:34 AM »
Hi,

I have had a problem with my dvd drives. I have a DVD Burner and a DVD Reader, and my problem is the following. The first CD or DVD that I put in the computer after it has booted will be kept in the drive memory as long as I don't reboot, so I can only get access to one CD or DVD by boot, one in each drive. When I remove the disc and put another one, the icon (in My Computer) stays the same as the cd I have just removed and worst, I can explore the cd and find the same files and folders from the previous disc, but this does not happen all the time. I went in my Device Manager to try to find an explanation and all I could find is that my Primary IDE Channel cannot be enabled. It is not marked as disabled, I cannot even select an option, the box under Device Usage is gray and there is nothing written in it. I made sure that all of the wires are well plugged and that all of my drivers are up to date. This problem occured with no particular reason I can remember. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

fenderdr

Raptor

Re: Unable to enable Primary IDE Channel
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 08:18:40 AM »
If you are certain the primary IDE channel is disabeled, you should enable it from the BIOS.

fenderdr

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 06:51:20 PM »
I have tried to disable my Secondary IDE Channel and the Icon on the left (in the device manager) was then marked with a red X, which is not the case with the Primary IDE Channel, so I believe it might not be the problem since it seems to be enabled, and the IDE Drive UDMA option in the Bios is turned on and the Master and Slave are properly assigned.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 07:28:51 PM »
and the IDE Drive UDMA option in the Bios is turned on and the Master and Slave are properly assigned.

UDMA is not the same as the IDE channel #1.

What devices are connected to IDE channel #1?

Have you scanned for Viruses, Trojan Horses and spyware?

Virus scanners
AVG Free
-- Anti virus scanner
Trend Micro Housecall
-- Online anti virus scanner.

Anti spy/malware
Microsoft Antispyware
-- Anti spyware scanner. Windows XP Home and Professional only.
Spybot Search & Destroy
-- Anti spyware scanner
Adaware SE Personal
-- Anti spyware scanner

Firewalls
Use both a hardware and software firewall.
Be advised as dual software firewalls may cause problems

ZoneAlarm Free
-- Free firewall - more user friendly
Sygate Personal
-- Free firewall - more configuration options

Removal tools
The following files are not substitutes for the ones described above.
They are either diagnostic tools or removal tools for malware of a certain kind

HijackThis
-- Manual malware remover. Post the HijackThis log generated only if requested!
McAfee Stinger
-- Virus removal tool. No substitute for a fully functional virus scanner!
CWshredder
-- CoolWebSearch removal tool. Widely known and persistant Hijacker.

fenderdr

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 12:19:07 PM »
The device connected to my IDE Channel 1 is my LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S. There is something that came to my mind as I am writing this. It's another problem I get from the same source I believe, and mentioning the DVD burner made me think of it. I get buffer underruns when I try to burn a disc, cd or dvd, and the burning process stops before the end, towards half of the progress. I have scanned my computer with Avast Antivirus, Ad-Aware and Microsoft Anti-Spyware and no virus was found.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 12:38:10 PM »
Is the DVD-ROM drive a slave/master or CS and to what IDE/ATA connector is it connected?