Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Uninstalling QuickTime  (Read 4128 times)

Loochery

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Uninstalling QuickTime
    « on: December 03, 2010, 06:55:38 PM »
    I have Windows XP 2002. I'm trying to free up space on my computer. I don't use QuickTime to play any files (movies, etc.) on my hard drive. I was going to install it, but I read a few places that QuickTime is needed to play some videos online. My question is, if I uninstall QuickTime (using the Control Panel-->Ad/Remove Progams tool), am I going to have any problem viewing YouTube (and similar sites) videos, viewing videos on news sites (i.e. CNN), etc?

Thank you for your time.

Mulreay

Egghead
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Space and Science
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Uninstalling QuickTime
    « Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 07:08:05 PM »
    Yeah best to leave it be.. it's not a resource hog, so I would not worry about it.
    For when the One Great Scorer comes
    To write against your name,
    He marks - not that you won or lost,
    But how you played the game.

Owner of www.spaceandscience.co.uk and YouTube partner http://www.youtube.com/user/mulreay

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 05:11:11 AM »
    If you need to free space, uninstalling quicktime isn't the answer. Download and run treesize to see what is using your hd space (http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/)

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 07:56:42 AM »
    if I uninstall QuickTime (using the Control Panel-->Ad/Remove Progams tool), am I going to have any problem viewing YouTube (and similar sites) videos, viewing videos on news sites (i.e. CNN), etc?

Although it's not a resource hog and is probably insignificant in terms of drive space, I do not have QuickTime installed on my Windows 7 system, which has been my primary computer for Internet use for about 6 months now, and I have yet to encounter any streaming media content on the web (YouTube, news sites, etc.) where QuickTime was needed.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 12:49:08 PM »
    Quicktime is so 1995.

I second the recommendation to use treesize to find out what is really eating up drive space; uninstalling programs like quicktime is almost always inconsequential as far as space usage.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

CarvEula

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 12:58:52 PM »
    If you need to free space, uninstalling quicktime isn't the answer. Download and run treesize to see what is using your hd space (http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/)
    That is really helpful.... Thanks