Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Random Lockups...  (Read 2485 times)

cj82989

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Random Lockups...
    « on: December 04, 2010, 08:52:13 AM »
    Okay...I was previously running a (unbeknown to me) cracked copy of Windows 7 Ultimate on my computer...had had a friend custom build it for me and that was put on there.

The computer, after about six months, began to behave very erratic-like. It would freeze me out of doing any web based download/installer, and Flash Player and such uninstalled themselves. I ran a virus scan (from 3 different programs) and they all came back clean. I figured it was that I was running a cracked copy. So I purchased and installed a clean copy of Windows Vista Home Premium SP1. Also did a full partition deletion before I did this, to kinda give the computer a fresh slate to fix whatever the issue was.

Now, it will randomly freeze every five minutes to an hour like clockwork...any ideas as to whats going on?

cj82989

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Random Lockups...
      « Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 09:21:22 AM »
      Now, correct me if I'm wrong...but I think I may have found the issue..

Would incorrect/outdated drivers for my Motherboard and Power Supply cause lockups like that?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 09:42:12 AM »
      PSU does not use Drivers and Yes...drivers would cause what you described....
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 12:34:44 PM »
      Okay...I was previously running a (unbeknown to me) cracked copy of Windows 7 Ultimate on my computer...had had a friend custom build it for me and that was put on there.

Oh, right ... you just "didn't notice" that you hadn't paid for Windows 7 Ultimate? Is your arithmetic not too good? Or you thought that you had paid for full retail? In that case you would have had a Microsoft disk and sticker.

I purchased [...] Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

I'd be curious to know how you did this, considering it is discontinued.

Now, it will randomly freeze every five minutes to an hour

Possibly some kind of hardware problem, such as RAM failure... maybe your "friend" gypped you on the RAM as well as the OS? You could try running Memtest. Sounds like you may need to call your "friend".

http://www.memtest.org/