Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB ports have suddenly stopped working ...  (Read 2566 times)

philross2010

USB ports have suddenly stopped working ...
« on: December 05, 2010, 11:14:44 AM »
USB ports don't work in Windows XP
Hi there,
I have a Dell Dimension 5150 (Pentium D 805 - Dual Core processor 2.66 ghz, 533mhz fsb - 512 Ram - 250GB Serial ATA HDD - Graphics ATI Radeon X600 256mb - running Win XP home premium Service Pack 3).
However, this computer does NOT have PS/2 ports for mouse and keyboard therefore I have had to use a USB mouse and keyboard.
For some strange reason, all the USB ports have stopped working therefore my mouse and keyboard do not work. I have checked the bios and the USB controller is set to 'on', I have also done a CMOS reset and the problem is still there. I have also gone into all of the 'safe mode' boot options and again the computer goes into 'safe mode' no problem but the mouse still will not work therefore I cannot access Windows at all, even though the computer boots into Windows as I cannot move the cursor at all, no matter what USB socket I use. The USB keyboard works only in so far I am able to go into the bios or select 'safe mode' options etc
I am really in desperate need of help - thanks so much in anticipation
Phil Ross

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: USB ports have suddenly stopped working ...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 11:15:23 AM »
What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

truenorth

Guru

Re: USB ports have suddenly stopped working ...
    « Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 12:33:28 PM »
    Certainly depending on your response to Allan's question something of more pertinence may occur. However researching on your behalf i came across a couple of links that may apply. I was particularly impressed with the 1st link as it does provide an alternative (with described limitations) that may assist you. The 2nd link resolves the same issue via a different route. Good luck and keep us apprised of your results please,truenoerth
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/29229696/all-usb-ports-stopped-working-suddenly-hardware-or-software-.aspx

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/673766-usb-ports-suddenly-stop-working.html