Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: when moving window across screen is followed by trails  (Read 15281 times)

patbrew

Topic Starter

Starter

when moving window across screen is followed by trails
    « on: March 10, 2010, 04:53:39 AM »
    This is such a simple thing to correct but I cannot locate any help that recognizes this problem. I had it on the old Windows 98 and got help from mocrosoft. That was so long ago that I don't remember what I did to correct it.  It was called ghost back then. Do you recognize what I am describing?
    When dragging one window across another trails follow. It is very annoying and I know this should not happen. I have set Screen refresh rate from 60 hertz to 70 herts. 75 seemed to bother my eyes. Could this be the problem? I have the LCD monitor. Windows XP SP3 OS

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: when moving window across screen is followed by trails
    « Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 05:25:40 AM »
    LCD monitors should be set to 60hz. I don't believe this issue has anything to do with the monitor though....

If what your describing is that, when dragging one window over another, little "pictures" of the top window appear in the bottom window, then this is caused by the bottom window not repainting.

So the question to ask is "why isn't it repainting"?

Does this happen with all programs? If so, it would appear that your PC is simply underpowered, or having it's power gobbled up by something else on the system- one candidate, for example, is malware.

For the curious- the cause is rather down-level. Every window has a function that windows calls- it basically tells it, "hey, the user clicked on you" or "hey, you need to repaint". what causes the "ghosted" images is that when windows moves one window over another and exposes part of a window beneath it, it sends that windows function a message saying "hey, you need to repaint this area". if the program is busy, however, the message is not received right away- instead, it's added to  a queue- sort of a "to-do" list for the window. This can happen if the program is doing some intensive task- reading files, saving a big document, etc. However- as you said, this is not normal behaviour and should really only occur under specific circumstances.

If it's happening with <all> your windows, and this is a recent occurrence, I'm inclined to believe you may be a victim of an infection.

To determine wether this is the case you can visit the malware section of this site:

follow the guides posted here and then make a new thread/post in the spyware removal section here; you'll need to post the logs from hijackthis, Super Anti-spyware, and Malware bytes Anti-malware.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 08:24:45 PM »
    pat,
    How much memory (RAM) do you have installed?
    What is the speed of your processor?

If you don't know, click Start then right click on My Computer and select Properties at the bottom of the drop down menu. This will bring up your system properties. It will tell you the speed of your processor and the amount of RAM that you have.
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

Ryder17z

Intermediate
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 03:01:25 AM »
    This might also occur if a suitable driver for the graphics card isn't installed
    The cake is a lie...

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 05:39:19 AM »
    Did this just start? If so, what is new since it last worked properly? If you reinstalled the OS you need to install the graphics driver. Also check System Properties - Advanced Tab - Performance Button and put a tick in "show window contents when dragging"

patbrew

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 12:45:47 PM »
      OK is graphic driver the same as the monitor driver? I did install a newer Monitor driver and uninstalled it today thinking this was the cause. Yesterday and this morn I ran MABM, ESet, IOBit 360, Windows Advanced Care, Ran a through Secunia. No malware, virus was found. Everything is updated. Did a run through all the services to make sure they are set for optimun performance of machine. If I made any changes Windows Advance System Care corrected it.
      If graphics driver is something I should check into I will try that. My machine is 2002 and all the drivers are that old or older.
      This started a few days ago and is worse at times. I am running enough ram for what i use it for but do need to remove some photos for better performance but have removes many the past few weeks, so that should not have suddenly caused this.
      Have Pentium processor. 512 MB of Ram
      Tick has always been on "show window contents when dragging"
      Other than the graphics driver, which I will check into, I am beside myself as to what else it could be. i do dmaintenance almost daily to make sure it is running without problems.
      Thank you for your reply.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 12:49:53 PM »
      graphics driver = video card driver.

patbrew

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 09:14:54 PM »
        I checked all my Hardware drivers and they all look OK. It says that there is no problem with them. I specificly checked the Video Codecs. Is there any other way that I can check the graphics driver or card?
        As a results of all this I did reset some features that reduced the amount of processors running and I am very happy about this.  Machine is much quieter. I am amazed at this improvement.

Veltas

Intermediate

• Yes
        • Certifications: List
        « Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 12:03:24 PM »
        I specificly checked the Video Codecs.

That won't help, what you really need to do is check the Graphics Card Driver, Video Driver or whatever.  But it's a driver that is the important thing, a codec decrypts DVDs and stuff, a Video Driver tells the PC how to use the Graphics Card which is what tells the monitor what to display.

Navigate your way to your Display Adapter's Information:
        Start > Right-Click on My Computer > Manage > Device Manager (in the list on the left under 'System Tools') > Display Adapters

Here should be at least one Display Adapter, and they will all likely share the same name.  Can you tell me the name of your graphics card please?  E.g ATI Radeon 9200 or whatever yours is called.

Also, if you're connected to the internet then you might want to try:

Double-Click on the first Display Adapter in the list > Driver > Update Driver... > Yes, this time only > Next > Next (again)

This should update your driver automatically.

patbrew

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 06:09:10 PM »
          Thank you Veltas. I apologize for taking so long in getting back with you. I have tried to solve the problem myself to no avail. The Graphics card is :
          Radeon X300 Series
          ATI 6.14.10.6476
          I tried a newer driver :
          ATI Radeon X300X550X1050 Series

But did not seem to make any better so I switched back to the original one.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 07:20:31 PM »
          Tick has always been on "show window contents when dragging"

Untick this...and re-boot and see.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

pattybrew

Intermediate
            « Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 02:48:35 PM »
            Thank you so much. I did not know that is what was doing it. I can live with that, it is so minor. I do appreciate your kind help and much wisdom.