Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: All of my desktop icons and tool bar dissappeared ...need help.  (Read 2595 times)

William56

Topic Starter

Rookie

All of my desktop icons and tool bar dissappeared ...need help.
    « on: December 08, 2010, 02:29:23 PM »
    I have looked over the other posts regarding this subject, but they haven't really answered my question. My icons were simply gone when I booted up yesterday. I have tried to restore them thru the desktop. I have also tried to drag new ones on to the desktop just in case that might work. So far nothing has worked. I am wondering what else I might do to restore these. If any one can suggest something I am willing to try most anything including reinstalling Windows.
    Presently I have Windows XP installed on this PC. If you need additional information I will be glad to provide it.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: All of my desktop icons and tool bar dissappeared ...need help.
    « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 02:35:03 PM »
    What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

William56

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 02:54:15 PM »
      Allen, thanks for your quick responce. To be honest I can't think of anything that I have added to this PC . When I add programs or make changes I have gotten into the habit of keeping a log of any obvious changes that were made to the PC. I haven't put any additional software or anything on it in quite a while. To tell the truth I removed some of the software that I haven't been using thru the Control Panel. I didn't get any errors or messages that might suggest I did something to make this PC unhappy. These removals were done a few weeks ago with no bad results occurring. Recently I have been having another problem with my other PC. So I have been using this PC in question to get me on the web and such. All I can honestly say I that I booted up this PC as I always have. I immediately found that my desk top simply did not have a single icon on it. My task bar is also missing.
      I have tried some of the suggestions found on this web site with no luck. If I think of anything that I may have done I will certainly mention it. Thanks.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 05:39:10 AM »
      Okay. Let's rule out (or in) a malware issue. Please follow the instructions in the following link and post your logs in the thread you create (NOT in this thread):
      http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html