Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: laptop won't boot from floppy or cd  (Read 3028 times)

wildoscar

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    laptop won't boot from floppy or cd
    « on: December 09, 2010, 10:59:55 AM »
    I have an old compaq presario 2100 laptop XP SP3 and it used to be able to boot from cd . i was trying to boot to a live linux but it just ignores when i set the bios to boot from cd and goes on to boot from hard drive.

Ditto with floppy drive. I was trying to boot to ms dos with an ms dos startup disk creed on the compaq but when i set the bios to boot from floppy it just ignores that and boots from the hard drive. it will not even boot from a windows disk

I even tried the return to factory image cds which i have successfully used in the past but won't boot from them. I was only testing to see would it boot not going to restore. Anyway it ignored them too.

I note from bios that it is set to have the hard drive detected  automatically but no way to change that and was presumably like that when i could boot from cd. How do I  test the bios ?

wildoscar

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: laptop won't boot from floppy or cd
      « Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 12:28:47 PM »
      I have an old compaq presario 2100 laptop XP SP3 and it used to be able to boot from cd . i was trying to boot to a live linux but it just ignores when i set the bios to boot from cd and goes on to boot from hard drive.

Ditto with floppy drive. I was trying to boot to ms dos with an ms dos startup disk creed* on the compaq but when i set the bios to boot from floppy it just ignores that and boots from the hard drive. it will not even boot from a windows disk

I even tried the return to factory image cds which i have successfully used in the past but won't boot from them. I was only testing to see would it boot not going to restore. Anyway it ignored them too.

I note from bios that it is set to have the hard drive detected  automatically but no way to change that and was presumably like that when i could boot from cd. How do I  test the bios ?
      *should read ms dos startup disk created on the compaq

hcooke

Rookie
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 12:57:11 PM »
      If hard drive is detected in bios, that's a good thing.  There should be no reason to alter that setting. 

Whatever I want to boot from, I make it the primary boot device, I disable the rest of the boot devices.    Did you try that ?

Are you trying to boot with another device because it won't boot into xp ?   

wildoscar

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: laptop won't boot from floppy or cdi
        « Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 01:06:59 PM »
         i did not try disable other devices. how do you make t the primary boot device? i want to  boot from live linux to access a floppy that cannot be accessed from xp. thanks

wildoscar

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »
          I disable the rest of the boot devices.    Did you try that ?
          If I do and then it will not boot from floppy or cd how do i get back into the computer, how will it boot again?