Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Only hard drive (SATA) defaulting to "e" when trying to install Windows XP.  (Read 2858 times)

lottsm

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hi,

So my hard drive died; I pulled it and replaced it with a solid state drive, which is the only hard drive in the system.  I then ran the XP install disk and upon trying both options...one being to install Windows on this drive and the other being to format it, saw that it for some reason displayed as the "e" drive.  I have unplugged everything that I can think of, including a USB card and a multi-card reader, but it still gets formatted as the "e" drive.  Any ideas on how to make it the "c" drive?

Shelton

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    This generally happens when an external device is plugged into a usb port during install. I read what you said, but recheck and make sure there's nothing connected.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Also boot back into setup and see if the old drive is still listed....a BIOS is sometimes easily confused...

If it is power down and disconnect the new drive....while you're at it double-check which SATA connection it is on the MBoard (should be SATA1).
    Do a few cold boots with no drive connected then re-do everything and power up...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

lottsm

Topic Starter

Rookie

Allan and Patio,

Thanks to both of you, this issue is resolved.  I disconnected the printer and the new hard drive, then started twice, then reconnected the hard drive.  Upon starting, it was recognized as the c drive.  I appreciate your time and effort.

Sincerely,
      Shelton

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Excellent...
      We love success stories.
      Stop by anytime...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "