Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ASUS Motherboard Make Disk for DOS Menu. No "a" drive, but comp. says yes.  (Read 11430 times)

lottsm

Topic Starter

Rookie

I don't have an "a" floppy drive.  I have installed a new hard drive, (only one in system) put XP on it and have now begun the motherboard installation.  I bought an external floppy drive, thinking that this would help the installation.  I am assuming that I don't need the "NVIDIA RAID Driver Page" nor the "JMicron JMB36X RAID Driver Page," which leaves me with the FreeDOS command prompt.  Upon choosing that, I am faced with:

C:\>

I went to www.freedos.org, but I wasn't able to figure out what to do.  If I shut down the computer and restart, it prompts me to insert the installation CD for the motherboard, so...what do I do now?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: ASUS Motherboard Make Disk for DOS Menu. No "a" drive, but comp. says yes.
    « Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 08:24:33 PM »
    what does FreeDOS have to do with installing windows drivers?
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 12:15:12 AM »
    Are you trying to install XP on a RAID array?
    What motherboard?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

lottsm

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 05:37:40 PM »
      The motherboard is an ASUS P5N-E SLI. I don't really know what a RAID array is, (but I think that it requires multiple hard drives) nor what FreeDOS has to do with anything; I am ignorant regarding many aspects of computers, but am trying to learn.  I only have one hard drive, if that helps.  After installing XP and during the installation of the motherboard software, I see a screen saying:

"Welcome to ASUS Motherboard Make Disk for DOS Menu
                                                                                              Rev.1.0

1)    NVIDIA RAID Driver Page
          2)    JMicron JMB36x RAID Driver Page
          3)    FreeDOS command prompt
      Please choose 1 ~ 3:"

I posted here because this is on an XP machine, but maybe I should re-post on another part of this forum (?)  I mentioned that about the "a" drive because during at least one of my multiple attempts to install everything, the computer kept looking for a disk in the "a" drive.  The external floppy disk is seen as the "b" drive, but I don't know how to do away with the non-existent "a" drive.

lottsm

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 09:51:53 PM »
        Okay, I will delete this question if possible tomorrow and re-post as two separate issues...well, probably just one because I have given up on the installation of that software; I think that the computer will function without it.

Clankfan

• Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        Reassign the drive to A.
        « Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 07:00:59 PM »
        Reassign the drive to A.
        PlayStation for the win!

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner