Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't use computer anymore  (Read 5062 times)

jim0watkins

Topic Starter

Rookie

Can't use computer anymore
    « on: December 10, 2010, 03:04:20 PM »
    I'm using Maverick on an emachines with a samsung monitor.  I tried using suspend, but when I returned from it, there was no video (i.e., the monitor is not receiving any information, I think).  When I tried to reboot several time, same thing happens.  And since I can't see anything, I can't really do anything about it.  Any ideas?  (I also tried disconnecting and reconnecting the monitor, but that didn't do anything).  Thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Can't use computer anymore
    « Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 12:57:03 AM »
    When you say 'Maverick', what do you mean?

Some monitors will not restore unless you turn off monitor power for 3 seconds. It is some kind of hardware and monitor idle state  conflict.I think. I donno. I just turn it off for 3 seconds and back on an 'pop', there it is.

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 01:46:42 AM »
    Do you see anything at all on the screen when you power up? Do you get a no signal message on the screen? Can you get into BIOS? If not, try clearing CMOS.
    Ubuntu has had problems with hibernate/sleep for a while now. There are some work arounds, but let's see if you can get into the OS first.
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

jim0watkins

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 06:09:45 AM »
      When you say 'Maverick', what do you mean?

Some monitors will not restore unless you turn off monitor power for 3 seconds. It is some kind of hardware and monitor idle state  conflict.I think. I donno. I just turn it off for 3 seconds and back on an 'pop', there it is.

Maverick Meerkat: Ubuntu 10.10

I tried restarting the monitor after a certain amount of time, doesn't work.  For some reason, putting it into suspend mode stopped the computer from sending the video feed to the monitor.

jim0watkins

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 06:21:20 AM »
        Do you see anything at all on the screen when you power up? Do you get a no signal message on the screen? Can you get into BIOS? If not, try clearing CMOS.
        Ubuntu has had problems with hibernate/sleep for a while now. There are some work arounds, but let's see if you can get into the OS first.

I don't see anything from the computer, all I see is the monitor's little window (with the backlight) in the corner switching from "Analog" mode to "Digital" mode several times (I guess it's searching for a feed) before the screen goes black again with the power light flickering on and off.

I can't get into BIOS because I can't see anything (I don't know how to get there).  Also, I don't know how to clear CMOS.

JJ 3000

Egghead
        « Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 11:24:14 PM »
        Unplug your computer. Open your computer's case and if you have a video card (not onboard video) take the card out and re-seat it. While you're in there look for a small flat battery about the size of a nickel on your motherboard. It looks like this:

Take that battery out. Press the power button on the front of your computer a few times while it's out. Leave it out for 5-10 minutes. Then replace it. Use caution the whole time you are working inside of your computer. Static electricity can fry your components. Make sure that one of your arms is making contact with the metal frame of the case to ground yourself and prevent static discharge.

Before you try to boot back up make sure that you have the monitor connected and plugged in. Try booting with only the necessary peripherals plugged in (just the monitor, keyboard and mouse).
        Save a Life!
        Adopt a homeless pet.

jim0watkins

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 08:31:02 AM »
          Thanks for your help everyone!  It turns out that when I powered my computer off, it was just extending the suspend mode, so I unplugged it and replugged it and now it's working.

Unplug your computer. Open your computer's case and if you have a video card (not onboard video) take the card out and re-seat it.

@JJ 3000,  should I be doing this anyways?  Is re-seating part of computer upkeep?

JJ 3000

Egghead
          « Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 10:51:40 PM »
          should I be doing this anyways?

No.
          Save a Life!
          Adopt a homeless pet.