Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can no longer download large files on web browsers  (Read 3022 times)

stargazer

Can no longer download large files on web browsers
« on: November 30, 2010, 04:58:03 PM »
I use a laptop with Windows Xp. and I've been using wireless broadband, without any problems for about a year, but  I recently starteed to have problems with my FireFox browser, being no longer able to download large files (mp4). Althouhgh it always finishes a large download file as a 100% complete, eventhough only a fraction of the file has downloaded. I restorted to using th Internet Explorer8, to get round the problem,  but now IE8  wont download large files either. I then altered browser download config in FF, but that didnt work. Then tried reinstalling FF, and that didnt work either. What shoud I do?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Can no longer download large files on web browsers
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 08:09:27 AM »
Does your ISP have a limit on bandwidth use?  Any change is this since you posted your question here?

QuestComputerSolutions

Greenhorn

• Yes
    • QuestComputerSolutions.com
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Can no longer download large files on web browsers
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 03:45:53 PM »
There are many different issues that can result in downloads not completing properly. I find the issue you are experiencing is very common in wireless networks as numerous things can affect your connectivity. Once your connectivity is interrupted the download usually stops and is broken. Reasons why connectivity may drop includes wireless router issues, wireless network card issues, and the local environment that may have an impact on the signal transmission. Web browsers are not the best way to download large files, especially wirelessly. I strongly recommend installation of a download manager to download large files. A good free download manager is "Free Download Manager." Download managers have the ability to reconnect to the web server you are downloading from if the signal become interrupted and resume downloading where it stopped if the server support resuming.

If you have additional wireless computers/notebooks locally are they experiencing the same issue?