Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Incompatible hardware or just OS?  (Read 2178 times)

Octomail

Incompatible hardware or just OS?
« on: December 11, 2010, 03:39:03 AM »
I don't have an 8-core, 12GB RAM, water-cooled laptop like everyone else seems to, but I've cleaned and optimized two dual-core laptops identically (defrag, full scan and clean, disabled Windows wanting to run everything at startup, set high performance, appearance for best, ReadyBoost - everything), but the older, slower Toshiba now starts instantly after bootup and runs fast, where my HP-Compaq sits on the welcome screen for 18 seconds and is slow in general. I'm thinking the 2.1 Ghz 2GB RAM Hitachi architecture on the HP is just no good at running Windows 7 64-bit, where the Toshiba - half the RAM and slower CPU - running Vista (appearance supposed to hit the processor too hard) works like a dream. Am I right about the motherboard being a mismatch for the (preinstalled) OS, is 7 'just like that', or have I missed something else (and no, I haven't uninstalled anything I didn't add)?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Incompatible hardware or just OS?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 02:37:04 PM »
Without knowing the exact specifications of each machine, we can offer no recommendations.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 06:05:10 PM »
I don't have an 8-core, 12GB RAM, water-cooled laptop like everyone else
Well, in that case, there are only a few here in your category.  ::)

Shark Fin 101

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 10:24:08 PM »
    18 seconds
    Oh my. Hope you don't die of old age.

*sarcasm*  :)

On a more serious note, is the OS freshly installed on both? If the older laptop is a fresh (or fresher) install of Windows, that could explain the disparity. And yes, I/we will probably need system specs to offer any sort of diagnosis.