Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop wont boot properly  (Read 2486 times)

shambles91

Laptop wont boot properly
« on: December 13, 2010, 09:25:05 AM »
Hi, I've got a Dell Inspiron 1545 running on Windows 7 (not sure which one). I was working on it and it completely froze up about a week ago. After trying CTRL - ALT - DEL i was given a message to say that it wasn't responding and that i should switch the computer off manually. I did this and went to turn it back on but all it came up with was 'Windows is loading files' i left it to load however it was just repeating this same process over and over without any progress. I then tried doing a Diagnostics Test where it kept telling me there was an error and then it would continue the text any longer. After this failed i tried to boot up from the Windows 7 disc that came with the laptop. First i tried the repair option, however the laptop sat there for about 4 hours on the same screen not doing anything. I then tried to reinstall Windows 7 and this wouldn't work either, the screen just said 'Windows is starting up' or something similar. I have not backed up my laptop and really don't want to loose what is on there however i realise i might. Most of all i would just like it working again as am in desperate need due to being at University.

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Laptop wont boot properly
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 10:10:35 PM »
Can you get into safe mode? Repeatedly tap F8 as you boot. Choose safe mode from the list of options.

If that doesn't work, boot to the windows disk and choose system restore from the list of recovery options.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/