Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WIN XP INSTALLATION FROM COMMAND PROMPT  (Read 2885 times)

saboltech

WIN XP INSTALLATION FROM COMMAND PROMPT
« on: December 14, 2010, 08:30:56 PM »
plz i need 2 install win xp from a command prompt please is there a way i can extract or copy smartdrive.exe and burn to a CD cos my system doesnt have a floppy disk facility ?

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: WIN XP INSTALLATION FROM COMMAND PROMPT
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 08:34:10 PM »
I don't think you can install XP from command prompt. You need an XP CD.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 08:34:26 PM »
What exactly is it you are trying to do here ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 02:23:03 AM »
plz i need 2 install win xp from a command prompt
What is this command prompt? DOS? UNIX? LINUX? BSD? come on, be a bit more specific here. Almost all Operating Systems have a "command prompt".

please is there a way i can extract or copy smartdrive.exe
Thanks, although it would have taken negligibly more effort to have specified it directly, I think it's safe to assume we are talking about a DOS-based system, and trying to install WinXP through a DOS command prompt. This I gather because I recall that the XP setup whines if you don't have smartdrv (it's called "SmartDrive" but the executable is smartdrv.exe) loaded. Note that smartdrv is included in MS/PC-DOS versions 5 and later (and possibly later versions), and a version is provided with earlier windows versions as well (Win 3.0 has a crappy version with some freaky weird half-working implementation, it doesn't cache external drives so wouldn't meet the needs of XP's install, that and it's a .sys file that you load from config.sys make it pretty pointless).

Since smartdrv is provided with the installation media of these various products, one can assume that you don't have any of them; therefore the presumption is that you are in fact booting from a DOS boot floppy. So the question now becomes- why? Is there no OS on the drive? Can you not boot to the CD itself?
and burn to a CD cos my system doesnt have a floppy disk facility ?

and burn to a CD cos my system doesnt have a floppy disk facility ?
Alright, now I'm just confused. If you don't have a floppy drive then you aren't booting to the boot floppy; this means you are probably booting to the hard drive, which for some reason has a version of DOS of one form of another installed.

And since you have a CD-ROM drive, the question is raised yet again- why not just boot to the CD? Why are you trying to run setup from within a MS-DOS environment?

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.