Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: copy and replace exes problem, and create batch file then save problem  (Read 5241 times)

bigbutt100

Topic Starter

Rookie

I have a file in a folder called bla.exe

I copy a newer version to the folder

windows 7 asks me if I want to copy and replace the file

I say yes

Windows 7 says "error file is open in another program"

WHAT THE HECK IS THAT!!!
    (it is in no way shape or form open in any program except for explorer!)

There is some kind of delayed file protection inside windows 7 that is not in windows XP nor vista.

in XP or vista you can copy and replace files with no problems.

I have searched and found several possible fixes that dont fix the problem:
    1.) I set the advanced owner permisions to my whole C: drive to have the owner as Administrator instead of trusted installer

2.) UAC is off and I have set all basic permissions to full control on admin and on everyone
    _______________________________________ ______________________

problem #2

In windows XP I edit a batch file and I click save to save its new contents.

In windows 7 I save the edited batch file and it says it is in use and I end up having to save it as a different name or different location!
    _______________________________________ _____________________

- I have searched to no end on this issue since win 7 came out.
    - I have this same issue after re-installing windows 7 multiple times( and with default settings)
    - I have this same issue on different peoples computers that have win 7 too.

_______________________________________ ______________________

the files that have copy errors can be ANY exe and it wont let you unless you wait about 10 minutes after you clicked the original exe.

the batch save problem also exists on any windows 7

_______________________________________ _____________________-

Any possible help or solutions would be great.....someday I guess.... ???

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: copy and replace exes problem, and create batch file then save problem
    « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 03:27:56 PM »
    I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I'm moving and replacing executables immediately after closing them to test various installation scenarios for my own programs, and I haven't had any problems editing batch files in the manner you describe.

In fact, in the first instance, I am quite literally closing the program, replacing the executable, and starting it again all within a fraction of a second.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

bigbutt100

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 03:32:07 PM »
      weird...
      what version of 7 do you have (home premium, ultimate?),
      32 bit or 64
      and build?

mine is 7 ultimate build 7600 (i think) and 64 bit

Im not sure why you have no problem but thats why Im posting here so we can put our minds together

I fully can understand your confusion though... thanks

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 03:41:09 PM »
      Windows 7 Ultimate x64 build 7600 (RTM).

For the record however I also had no problems with my laptop when it was running Home Premium (also x64).

If the lock seems to stay for a minute or so, you could try process explorer. Some add-on program...Almost certainly an AV program if installed... could be keeping it open for some silly caching scheme. you can use the find feature to search for handles that for that file, and see which programs are using that handle.

The same thing is probably causing your batch file save issues.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

bigbutt100

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 04:05:03 PM »
        oh yes procmon i have used that before... not for this problem though... although I sometimes dont use virus protection and I still have the errors

I use antivir by avira when I want to and I have no viruses.

also when I have the antivir installed I have tried disabling the guard on it to test the same theory and I still have the errors.

could it be a certain service .. maybe if I turn all services to automatic it will fix it...should I try that?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 04:36:24 PM »
        It's not a services issue...

Yet come to think of it we have no way of knowing what whacks you have done to this system...so yeah...try the defaults.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

bigbutt100

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 07:10:52 PM »
          Well I have tried the defaults and still no go... I install vista 64 bit and I get no problems at all... but I paid for windows 7 and I wish I could figure this out.