Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE 7 doesn't open some pages  (Read 4034 times)

jimmy2

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    IE 7 doesn't open some pages
    « on: December 18, 2010, 03:47:38 AM »
    Hi, have a rather strange problem with IE7. On some sites, when I click a link, it says it cannot open it and a blank page appears. Refreshing the page sometimes helps, sometimes not, randomly. I've tried reinstalling java and flash, disabling all add ons in IE, nothing seems to work. There isn't such problem if I open the same pages in Google Chrome browser. My system is WinXP pro SP2. Any ideas please?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: IE 7 doesn't open some pages
    « Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 05:58:44 AM »
    1) Upgrade to SP3
    2) If the problem still persists, try installing IE8

jimmy2

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 06:11:14 AM »
      Thanks for answering, will try installing SP3. One more symptom: in the meantime, I noticed that disabling scripting solves the problem, I can see the pages with no problem, but some functionality gets lost without Flash enabled. So perhaps there is some trick connected with changing registry entries (which I know nothing about and am afraid to even touch ;)

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 09:41:22 AM »
      There isn't such problem if I open the same pages in Google Chrome browser.
      Then, why not just use Chrome, or another browser such as Firefox?  Still, I'd upgrade Win XP to SP3 and upgrade IE to 8, as Allan suggested.  You need SP3 for continued support from Microsoft for Windows updates.  IE8 had some kinks when first released by those problems seem to have been resolved long ago. 

jimmy2

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 02:44:21 PM »
        So, installing SP3 didn't help, but the upgrade to IE8 seems to work, all pages open properly  :) Thanks everybody for advice!
        Cheers,
        jimmy2

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 02:45:33 PM »
        Glad you're all straightened out. And you needed to install sp3 anyway, so this was as good an excuse as any to do it ;)