Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Media test failure, please check cable??? Computer was working, now it is not...  (Read 3486 times)

robpossible

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    This is my first post on here, thanks to anyone with any help. This is a 4-5 year old Gateway laptop that I really need to get a little info off of before she goes into the trash. She was working last Friday but when I came in this morning she gave me this screen. I searched this forum for a solution but didn't really find anything that helped. Here's a picture of the screen:

Thanks again, Robby

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Go to the website of your hd manufacturer and download and run their diagnositc utility. Alternatively, if you are running XP you can boot to the Recovery Console and run chkdsk /r

robpossible

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Go to the website of your hd manufacturer and download and run their diagnositc utility. Alternatively, if you are running XP you can boot to the Recovery Console and run chkdsk /r
      I am running XP... Can you explain both of these in a little more detail?

Allan

• Mastermind
      Boot to your XP Cd. Choose the FIRST repair option (that will take you to the recovery console). Once there, run chkdsk /r

robpossible

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Boot to your XP Cd. Choose the FIRST repair option (that will take you to the recovery console). Once there, run chkdsk /r
        gotcha, working on it now, thx.
        I'll let you know how it goes.
        Rob

Allan

• Mastermind
        It will take a while and run 5 passes. Let it finish. When it does, type EXIT and press ENTER (or just do a hard reboot, either is fine).

robpossible

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

It will take a while and run 5 passes. Let it finish. When it does, type EXIT and press ENTER (or just do a hard reboot, either is fine).
          Actully it took me here after I ran the first repair choice:

Bad huh? Or did I do something wrong?

Allan

• Mastermind
          When the "install" process first starts it tells you to press F6 if you need to install the SATA drivers. You'll need to have the sata drivers on a floppy and then press F6 at that point.

Or - read this: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/01/21/install-xp-setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives-installed-in-your-computer/

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          I don't think the BIOS is recognizing the hard drive.

robpossible

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

When the "install" process first starts it tells you to press F6 if you need to install the SATA drivers. You'll need to have the sata drivers on a floppy and then press F6 at that point.

Or - read this: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/01/21/install-xp-setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives-installed-in-your-computer/
            Is there a way to intall it without a floppy? Maybe from a CD or thumb drive? I don't have floppy and no real easy access to one. Also Lets say I installed all of Windows XP on an extrenal hard drive, would that work? Could I than mess around with the broken drive, in my laptop, and get my stuff off of it?
            Thx again for all your help,
            Rob

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Expert
            On Gateway Solo Laptop, hit F2-key on power up to enter BIOS.  If the hard drive is not recognized, it has probably failed.