Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wierd computer problem  (Read 6557 times)

Dragon-Dancer

Wierd computer problem
« on: August 08, 2005, 08:35:00 PM »
I'm experiencing a strange problem with my pc that I'm not sure how to solve or where to look anymore.  I believe this is a software related problem but I'm open to suggestions.

First off I'm running:

Celeron 2.4 ghz on an AOpen MX46 MB with 768 mb ram, 2 hdsm a DVD writer and a GeForce 6600 GT all running of a 400W power supplu.  I'm using windows 2000 as my OS and PC-cillin for both anti-virus and as a firewall.

The problem:

The system seems to be experiencing a strange cyclical  glitch that causes it to appear to freeze and then resume.  It does this while playing audio several times during a given mp3 for example.  It does it while I'm typing anything even this note itself seems to stop showing keypresses and then quickly catches up (as it reads from the buffer  I'm assuming).  It's most apparent while playing games through as the game seems to slow to a near stop and then quickens to catch up.

My drivers are up to date and I've tried alternate hardware in several configurations to no avail which is why I was thinking it was a software problem.  Suggestions?

Raptor

Re: Wierd computer problem
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 08:25:12 AM »
Try the following:

• Scan for Viruses, Trojan Horses and Spyware
  • Defragment all your Hard Disk Drives and Partitions
  • Clean your registry
  • Remove redundant programs
  • Remove excessive dust from the heatsink and fans inside the system case
  • Shut down programs that could be possible memory hogs.
    -- Is your virus scanner set to scan continiously?

Virus scanners
    AVG Free
    -- Anti virus scanner
    Trend Micro Housecall
    -- Online anti virus scanner.

Anti spy/malware
    Microsoft Antispyware
    -- Anti spyware scanner. Windows XP Home and Professional only.
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    -- Anti spyware scanner
    Adaware SE Personal
    -- Anti spyware scanner

Firewalls
    Use both a hardware and software firewall.
    Be advised as dual software firewalls may cause problems

ZoneAlarm Free
    -- Free firewall - more user friendly
    Sygate Personal
    -- Free firewall - more configuration options

Removal tools
    The following files are not substitutes for the ones described above.
    They are either diagnostic tools or removal tools for malware of a certain kind

HijackThis
    -- Manual malware remover. Post the HijackThis log generated only if requested!
    McAfee Stinger
    -- Virus removal tool. No substitute for a fully functional virus scanner!
    CWshredder
    -- CoolWebSearch removal tool. Widely known and persistant Hijacker.

Easy Cleaners
    -- Freeware registry scanner
    Registrar Lite
    -- Excellent replacement for Windows Regedit
    Crap Cleaner
    -- Freeware registry scanner/history cleaner

Caution is advised when using these programs!
    Create backups of all important files before proceeding.

Dragon-Dancer

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 09:26:33 AM »
Try the following:

• Scan for Viruses, Trojan Horses and Spyware
  • Defragment all your Hard Disk Drives and Partitions
  • Clean your registry
  • Remove redundant programs
  • Remove excessive dust from the heatsink and fans inside the system case
  • Shut down programs that could be possible memory hogs.

-- Is your virus scanner set to scan continiously?

- No viruses, trojans or spyware detected.
- Drives were very recently defraged.
- Registry is as clean as I understand how to make it.
- I've dropped every program I don't use.
- Case is clean
- Only things left running are my Virus scanner/firewall, Spybot and windows files as far as I can tell.
- PC-cillin is set for real time virus protection, I haven't been able to figure out how often that means it scans but I can probably assume it's fairly often.

Anti spy/malware
Adaware SE Personal
-- Anti spyware scanner

Firewalls
Use both a hardware and software firewall.
Be advised as dual software firewalls may cause problems

Removal tools
HijackThis
-- Manual malware remover. Post the HijackThis log generated only if requested!

- I have Adaware installed, it's not finding anything either.
- I only use the software firewall that's part of PC-Cillin and have no hardware firewall at present.
- I have HijackThis.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 11:03:03 AM »
1. Does the same happen when you boot into safe mode?
2. When has this problem first occured?

You should obtain a diagnostic diskette from the manufacturer to test your Hard Disk Drive.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 04:55:13 PM »
Mismatched ramsticks!

Dragon-Dancer

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 06:53:54 PM »
1. Does the same happen when you boot into safe mode?
2. When has this problem first occured?

You should obtain a diagnostic diskette from the manufacturer to test your Hard Disk Drive.

- I don't notice the problem at all in safe mode.
- It started occuring about 3 weeks ago.

I've downloaded a disagnostic program from the boot hd's manufacturer, we'll see what happens.  I'm using my smaller 13 gb maxtor HD to run windows and programs from so i suppose it could be the culprit.

Edit: Just ran the diagnostics on the drive and it checks out just fine.

Mismatched ramsticks!

I thought of that actually but the problem occurs if I have a single 256 mb stick, 2 256mb sticks, a single 512 mb stick or any combination of the 256 and 512.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 08:21:45 AM by Dragon-Dancer »

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 01:15:37 AM »
    Open your task manager and check for any abnormal memory usage.

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 04:07:07 AM »
    I did not write the second part you quoted. It was Merlin.

I thought of that actually but the problem occurs if I have a single 256 mb stick, 2 256mb sticks, a single 512 mb stick or any combination of the 256 and 512.

Are both RAM sticks of equal speed and brand?

To be on the safe side, do a memory diagnostic test:

Microsoft Online Crash Analysis: Windows Memory Diagnostic in order to eliminate memory problems.

Dragon-Dancer

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 08:20:42 AM »
    I did not write the second part you quoted. It was Merlin.

Are both RAM sticks of equal speed and brand?

To be on the safe side, do a memory diagnostic test:

Microsoft Online Crash Analysis: Windows Memory Diagnostic in order to eliminate memory problems.

Whoopse sorry, I fixed the quote.  Yes both sticks are the same speed and brand.  I've run a memory test before (One that ran off a diskette) and it didn't find anything but I'll try this one when I get home.

Open your task manager and check for any abnormal memory usage.

The only time I see anything particularily abnormal (at least anything that seems kind of odd to me) is if I try to run an AVI file. Mem usage is very steady but CPU Usage
    jumps from near nothing  to 100% and back again until I open the task manager at which time the video starts playing.  This never happened before this problem started either.
    « Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 10:17:27 AM by Dragon-Dancer »

2k dummy

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 08:42:02 AM »
    I suspect the problem is in the way your AV is configured. Real time scanning can be problematic if it is set to scan a file every time it is run. You probably only need it to scan when a file is created or downloaded. You can check this out by disconnecting from the internet, disabling real time scanning, and running your game.

Dragon-Dancer

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 07:58:26 PM »
    - The memory diagnostics didn't turn up any problems

I suspect the problem is in the way your AV is configured. Real time scanning can be problematic if it is set to scan a file every time it is run. You probably only need it to scan when a file is created or downloaded. You can check this out by disconnecting from the internet, disabling real time scanning, and running your game.

This looks like it could be the problem, I'll have to try it with running AVIs and MP3s still but it looks like having the real time scanner turned off while playing Never Winter Nights seemed to fix the problem. Now the problem is trying to figure out how to configure my virus scanner so I don't get the problem and can still be online.

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 07:51:16 AM »
    Now the problem is trying to figure out how to configure my virus scanner so I don't get the problem and can still be online.

Properly configure and use Mozilla Firefox and you will largely eliminate the need for a virus scanner with real time scanning.

Instead of real time scanning, set it to scan each day at a time that you are not making intensive use of the computer or no use at all. (The computer does have to be turned on, ofcourse)

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 09:07:28 AM »
      AVG protection won't suck your computer dry and it's free.  :D

Dragon-Dancer

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 09:07:32 AM »

Properly configure and use Mozilla Firefox and you will largely eliminate the need for a virus scanner with real time scanning.

Instead of real time scanning, set it to scan each day at a time that you are not making intensive use of the computer or no use at all. (The computer does have to be turned on, ofcourse)

I know Firefox was good but I didn't know it was good enough to eliminate real time scanning.  I've been using it for about a year now.  What kind of configuration options would I need? Would I need any extentions?

Thanks to everyone for their help on this problem, I've been using Trend Micro Pc-cillin for several years now and never noticed it cause this kind of problem before.  Perhapse one of it's updates introduced something unexpected. :-/

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 11:34:11 AM »
      I know Firefox was good but I didn't know it was good enough to eliminate real time scanning.  I've been using it for about a year now.  What kind of configuration options would I need? Would I need any extentions?

It is for me. I never encounter spyware or viruses on my computer and have used a number of scanners during my Firefox usage. Adware and virus scanners have become irrelevant. Firewall only used for program control, but that is due to my Router.

You indeed do need extensions. When Firefox is installed, why not create a seperate thread and I will show you some things that will help you better secure your computer.