Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disk recovery software  (Read 2221 times)

ivan_jukic

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Disk recovery software
    « on: December 22, 2010, 05:46:28 PM »
    Hi Guys,

One of my Seagate HDD's died and the data on there is extremely important to me. I don't mind spending the $$$ but before I pay someone to recover the data for me, I would like to know if anyone has had any experience or knows of any software that worked well for them or someone they know.

The Disk spins up nicely, but BIOS (in two machines) can't find it.

Any help it muchly appreciated

Cheers

Ivan

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Disk recovery software
    « Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 06:08:41 PM »
    If BIOS can't see drive, it's very unlikely any software will work, even this:  http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
    I have Spinrite & it does work but never on a drive that BIOS won't see.

ivan_jukic

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 08:29:23 PM »
      Thanks Computer_Commando. I got a few quotes for data recovery and the cost is not much more that buying software. However, if I can save money that would be great.

I'll give spinrite ago.

Cheers

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 12:13:35 PM »
      Thanks Computer_Commando. I got a few quotes for data recovery and the cost is not much more that buying software. However, if I can save money that would be great.  I'll give spinrite ago....
      As I said, it might not work on a drive that the BIOS doesn't see.  Ask GRC before purchasing, because it does cost $89.  Spinrite has resurrected several flakey drives for me, but some of the routines can take many, many hours to complete.  Since it runs from DOS, not Windows, your machine could be tied up for 24hrs, depending on the size of the drive.