Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer problems [Need help]  (Read 3079 times)

nightshack0

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Computer problems [Need help]
    « on: December 28, 2010, 06:40:26 PM »
    Hey:

I'm having so many computer problems that I decided to look for help.

Story:

My computer is a "Dell Dimension e521".

It was working great, until one day, I was cleaning the computer and accidentally the pins of the processor were bent and broken, so I bought a slightly better processor, so it started working again, with some RAM problems, but switching the RAMs fixed it.

Then I moved the computer to my new room, where it seems there's a lot of humidity because I live in front of the beach/sea, even though the weather is cold (A lot of electronics in my house stop to work, like TVs etc)

The RAM slots started to go bad, I originally had 2 GB of RAM, and there was a computer error (with beeps), so I removed one RAM and it worked again.

The RAM Slots were starting to fail, sometimes they worked  and sometimes not.

And one day I turned it on, and the power light just flashed without any fans working, nothing turning on.. NOTHING, like if the computer was dead, so I thought, "it might be the power supply", and magically the next day it revived and I continued using it.
    For some days it continued like that, sometimes working and sometimes not, until one day the power supply just completely died.

I replaced the power supply today, and now only just 1 RAM works, so instead of the original 2GB I had, I now only have 512 MB, because all the RAM slots stopped working, if I put a RAM in it, the computer gets RAM errors and doesn't goes to POST BIOS.

So now I only have 512 MB RAM.

But I think the reason why the power supply and motherboard stopped working is because of the humidity.

Right now the computer is working with the new power supply, but only one RAM slot is working, so I only have 512 MB, all the other slots make the computer fail to start or make beeps.

I'm scared that another thing will go bad because of this problem with the humidity.

-----------------------------------------

What should I do, is the motherboard the problem?, and is it because of the humidity?? (living in front of the beach/sea)??

How can I solve it?? Buy a new motherboard?? But what if the power supply and motherboard again fail because of the humidity, how can I solve that??

Help!

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: Computer problems [Need help]
    « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 09:43:49 PM »
    Next time it is working, try downloading a Hardware Monitor Software(HW Monitor) and post a screenshot. It will also be better to mention certain activities as to why it causes this issues(aside from temp).? Since you mention being careless on your processor having to get replaced, make sure the board here is not yet broken which tends to be a possibility based on your post. If you have a passive cooling system on your desktop, try opening the side case when using the machine and avoid wire/cable clogging when re-assembling.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 09:20:44 AM »
      If as you say the issues with your electronic gadgets is a known phenomenon of your "humidity" conditions then that is what your emphasis has to be focused on. You are only for stalling the inevitable failures and loss of use until you address that. I can offer a possible assist to your specific issue with your computer (it probably will NOT resolve anything that has already failed) but it may help to delay or minimize your future negative humidity effects. Only when you are not using your computer and it is totally off contain it as tightly as possible in an enclosure that is impervious to moisture. Within the container with the computer place a cloth sack with about 8 ounces of silica jell crystals in it. When you cease using the computer always return it to that container. Silica can be obtained from most florists and/or hardware stores. It is a very effective moisture absorber. All the preceding presumes that you do not have an option to use your computer in another environment where your humidity is not present. You might also look into a single room dehumidifier for the room with your computer in it. Generally whole house dehumidifiers are not very effective in spite of the marketing that claims otherwise. They do not remove enough of the moisture.  truenorth

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 10:49:32 AM »
      But I think the reason why the power supply and motherboard stopped working is because of the humidity.
      Do you know what the actual normal humidity in the room where you have the computer?  I've always been more concerned about low humidity (which increases the chances of static electricity), especially in winter, than high humidity where I live.  So, an issue with high humidity sounds odd to me and I'm wondering whether the real issue is something other than high humidity. 

If humidity is, indeed, causing problems, I think truenorth's suggestion of a room dehumidifier would be the best solution.

nightshack0

Topic Starter

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 05:49:45 AM »
        Well, the computer's RAM Slots magically started working again.

@Soybean: You say low humidity in winter, well where I live, winter is cold, and it's still making all my house's electronics stop working: Microwave ovens, Televisions, computers, etc.

I think that's the bad thing about living near a beach.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        « Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 06:11:07 AM »
        I think that's the bad thing about living near a beach.

I've lived a stone's throw from the beach for nearly my entire life and this is the first time I've heard of high-humidity causing problems like this.

Also, the humidity in the winter is going to be generally low, even close to the beach.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

mroilfield

Mentor
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 07:05:34 AM »
        Are you sure it is a humidity issue and not a power issue in your house?

I live in Louisiana and we have some pretty high humidity and as far as I know it has never caused problem with electronics.

If it is humidity and it is high enough to cause problems with your electronics then you should be seeing other issues caused by the humidity. Such as clothes and bedding being damp all the time or surfaces felling slick like you just wiped them with a wet cloth.
        You can't fix Stupid!!!