Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: So I did something stupid and WER is a pain in the... (Long story)  (Read 4880 times)

deargodpleasehelp

Hi Y'all!

Long story so get ready... sorry... ::)

So I did some stupid stuff with Unlocker, (If you'd like to call this stupid or not!!!)

Here's my issue.

I play GTA IV, and some other games which I did mods to them so they can become unstable at times, but every now and then when one of my games crash I get plagued with the 'Application has stopped working' message.

But I'm serious here, every time, even in the middle of playing when the game   was fine, the message would pop up: Gta iv has stopped working.

So   I alt+tab a bit until I find my cursor, minimize the minimum error and   move on. The game crashes from excess memory hogging, and runs out of   memory.

I click 'Close application', 5 seconds later, another 'Grand Theft Auto IV has stopped working' message appears.
I close that out. 5 seconds later, 2 more windows appear, Gtaiv.exe has stopped working etc..

It's a total pain, so like described, I deleted them.

As a workaround, I finally just got SICK AND TIRED of the errors and I used UNLOCKER and deleted the wer.dll and werfault.exe files. Problem fixed! :P

After messing around with 'Unlock All' 'Unlock' and 'Kill Process' on each svchost.exe or whatever was occupying those files, I finally got that stupid wer fault service to go bye-bye. :D

But what I didn't know is that Windows is very sensitive of it's files... one file 'needed' or critical to the system (That's not even critical, from what I know) and poof!

Anyways,
After that, Explorer.exe suddenly crashed on me, it (Somehow!) reverted to windows 98 style!!! *censored*...

So then after I let svchost.exe and all restart after moving those files to a special folder in my home folder called 'Backed Up', the Start Menu turned black, as if it was activating Aero but nothing happend.
And I mean Pitch BLACK. All icons and start button were there, just the background color of it was PITCH BLACK, No glass theme or anything.

So out of being scared I might have scarred my Windows and thinking somehow those files were important, I quickly restored them back into the fiery depths of System32 back where they belong. I logged off and logged back on again, and got a report that my 'Event Log' service or whatever couldn't be started, and events will not be logged.

Files I've moved to the 'Backed Up' Folder (basically files removed from System32):
  • SearchIndexer.exe
  • SearchProtocolHost.exe
  • wer.dll
  • WerFault.exe
Sorry about the whole long story and all, but my main question to this is: Is it safe to delete/move files that are mainly un-needed and cluttering my space from system32? I know it seems obvious not to mess around in system32 as it contains very important files, which, if accidentally selecting the wrong file and removing it, thus, leaving the system inoperable, requiring me to get my Linux booted up again. (I don't essentially like having to restore files using my Dual-Booted Linux)

So thank you for the information, I know these files are really annoying, but I feel I want to just TURN OFF that stupid Windows Error dialog in Seven, it's actually more annoying than Windows XP's was... Ah, Xp, how I miss your presence so...

Anyways, so yeah that's about it. If you have any questions, please ask! I'm willing to answer.

Thanks! :D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: So I did something stupid and WER is a pain in the... (Long story)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 06:21:44 PM »
Yes. this was very stupid.

First off, deleting WER.DLL and werfault is probably, quite literally, one of the top ten dumbest things that a person that claims to be experienced can do- not counting best buy employees, but that goes without saying.

werfault reports errors. What you did was basically shoot the messenger.

Additionally, take a wild guess what provides themes. A service. guess what hosts services? svchost.exe. Any lights spark up yet?

You don't "Turn off the error" dialog. what is that even supposed to mean. Do you prefer the application to simply disappear with no rhyme or reason? because it still crashes. You don't prevent bank robberies by setting banks on fire.

I love this part:

thinking somehow those files were important,
Brilliant deductive reasoning. Hmm, System files are important for the system! It's an epiphany!

Files I've moved to the 'Backed Up' Folder (basically files removed from System32):

* SearchIndexer.exe
    * SearchProtocolHost.exe
    * wer.dll
    * WerFault.exe
"I'm moving system files which I just discovered are important, golly, do you think that might be causing these problems that started when I began messing about with them?"

Also, can you stop putting "reasons" that you "know" that make no sense? Programs don't crash from excess memory hogging. That doesn't even make sense. One thing you might consider- just- you know, give it a thought, is instead of screwing around with the important system files that are reporting the error your GAME is causing you instead figure out why your game is crashing.

Fetch me my violin!

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 09:30:55 PM »
Instant Classic...

Nuf said.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 10:10:19 PM »
Nice! ;D

So... do you want to know how to fix it or were you just wanting to entertain us with your story?
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 12:11:06 PM »
Nice! ;D

So... do you want to know how to fix it or were you just wanting to entertain us with your story?

No I'm not kidding!

My GTA IV still crashes for no reason, it's not all for story.

Here's what's going on. My CPU and the game both stress enough, after for some reason the game lags more and more and FINALLY stops working, why do you think it does that? I'm not sure I seriously keep thinking that it has something to do with too much system resources being used... I really don't know!!

Does anybody know? Come on someone please help :(

Virtuo-Log:

• Starts GTAIV.
  • Plays game.
  • Game lags more after so many cars and vehicles on the road like traffic.
  • I try to make a Enemy + Attacking Ped with Drive-By Gun with C++ / Lua Game Trainer Script
  • Game Freezes
  • Game crashes (Shows ' Grand Theft Auto IV has stopped working ' Dialog.)
I don't know what to do. Why does this happen? Can anybody tell me what the heck is happening?

Oh and I'll try to get a FULL error report of this application error thing as soon as possible.

By the way, WINDOWS 7 Error reporting dialog really doesn't report much information AT ALL as to what the cause would be, very basic information. No real data like Mac OS X or such would give if an application faulted. Like the Mac OS X 'application has quit unexpectedly dialog' the 'Report' section provides more than enough information for a monkey to figure out here.

I'll be done with this case, does anybody know how I can get a full-memory dump or alot of data about an application I can use for debug-reporting here? Come on, anybody? There's got to be something. :/ Otherwise I'll just keep sending Null reports to Microsoft which won't solve a Problem at all!

What is BEX module supposed to be anyways, I mean HUH!? How the heck will that solve my GTA 4 crashes?!

Anyways, done ranting..

Thanks. I hope someone can help me please.  :-[ :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 01:24:08 PM »
http://www.msteched.com/2010/NorthAmerica/WCL315

Nice try. I can't play that video on Firefox or IE.
Also that video doesn't really seem so usefull, after all. Sorry.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 01:31:29 PM »
Nice try. I can't play that video on Firefox or IE.
Also that video doesn't really seem so usefull, after all. Sorry.
A good bit through I believe it tells you how to get rid of the dialog, or at least to get the Dump file, which you seem to think you can actually use (I find that deliciously absurd).

I mean, I could just tell you, but that would make you discover how useless it is too quickly.

* Starts GTAIV.

* Plays game.
    * Game lags more after so many cars and vehicles on the road like traffic.

* I try to make a Enemy + Attacking Ped with Drive-By Gun with C++ / Lua Game Trainer Script

* Game Freezes
    * Game crashes (Shows ' Grand Theft Auto IV has stopped working ' Dialog.)

I don't know what to do. Why does this happen? Can anybody tell me what the heck is happening?

you must seriously be joking. You really can't figure this out yourself? You installed a game mod, and when you go to do something with that mod the game crashes... and you think it's a "resource allocation problem" or something? seriously? Uninstall the modifications! Does the same thing occur?

This is like trying to teach sign language to a monkey with no arms.

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 02:33:38 PM »
A good bit through I believe it tells you how to get rid of the dialog, or at least to get the Dump file, which you seem to think you can actually use (I find that deliciously absurd).

I mean, I could just tell you, but that would make you discover how useless it is too quickly.

you must seriously be joking. You really can't figure this out yourself? You installed a game mod, and when you go to do something with that mod the game crashes... and you think it's a "resource allocation problem" or something? seriously? Uninstall the modifications! Does the same thing occur?

This is like trying to teach sign language to a monkey with no arms.

I'm only saying it does this when the game lags, if the game is in a 'safe spot' (where it doesn't lag as much, like an indoor location) the game works just fine in doing the same action... although if it lags too much it crashes. Gee I wonder why!?

And sometimes the game crashes at all for no reason, even without mods.

I am running patch 1.0.0.3 since this is the only last version which allows mods (The C++/LUA game trainers) unless I want to patch xlive.dll in my system32 directory, which I think I would rather not do that. :P

Here's my 'Error Report' from that Windows Error Report thing.

Description:
  Critical runtime problem

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPLICATION CRASH
  System RAM:    -69455872
  Available RAM:    -1769615360
  Number of CPUs:    2
  Video Card Manufacturer:    unknown
  Video Card Description:    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
  Video Card Driver Version:    8.17.0012.5896
  OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
  Locale ID:    1033

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  G:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

EDIT: I'll try to get the DUMP File and see if I can get it up here too for additional information. ;)