Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help on BIOS for a new computer purchase  (Read 4635 times)

CyberD

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Help on BIOS for a new computer purchase
    « on: December 25, 2010, 05:34:24 PM »
    Wanting to buy current version of a 11.4" or 12.1" laptop . They all seem to come with Win7 64.bit OS. I saw several review/forum references that some of these 64-bit Window OS's would not boot 32-bit XP when installed, and that it was due to what BIOS options the laptop manufacturer chose to provide, and that the manufacturer would not provide a change. I want 32-bit XP so that I can use a workable driver for some legacy hardware that is not too old (HP Color LaserJet multifunction printer, CM1017 MFP). HP states they will not make a Win7 driver, and the Vista one did not work well. Would like to take off the Win7, install XP and then install Win7 in a multibood or in a virtual machine configuration. Now my questions, how to I find out if a computer for sale will boot 32-bit and/or how to contact mfg. support. I have really spent a lot of time trying to do this and will appreciate any help. I'm leaning toward one of the Acers.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Help on BIOS for a new computer purchase
    « Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 06:43:15 PM »
    How are you going to buy your computer? Directly from the factory? Or from a distributor in your country?
    Have you tried to e-mail directly to all the major manufactures of Laptop PCs to find out if this this is a problem on their machines? Can you please repeat exactly what Laptops that you know about that have the problem. You mention HP. But HP is currently having issues with some printer drivers. Are you going the let this issue determine which PC you will buy?

HP Color Laser Jet multifunction printer
    That covers a lot of ground. Sme are over $5,000 and some are under $200. IMHO, if you have an expensive printer without 64 bit drivers, you soused just stick with a 32 bit system until you have a compelling reason to switch. Eventually they will release 64 bit drivers.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    « Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 06:55:06 PM »
    The issue with a new computer is the manufacturer may not provide or have available 32-bit WinXP drivers.   The issue is not with the BIOS, but with the drivers.  There may just not be WinXP support for the computer you want.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 02:17:43 AM »
    Would like to take off the Win7, install XP and then install Win7 in a multibood or in a virtual machine configuration.

This is the exact opposite of what I did. I have a Canon laser printer that only had 32 bit drivers. I specified Windows 7 64 bit on my new PC earlier this year, and I installed XP 32 bit into a VMware virtual machine and ran the Canon from there. Just over one month later Canon released 64 bit drivers.

CyberD

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 01:09:29 PM »
      Geek-9pm
      Thank you for your reply. I have no preference on where to buy, availability of model selected and price determines it. To answer your question, I have I tried to e-mail directly, that is the second question I asked, how to do this, try to find ACER, Toshiba, ASUS, etc  sales or support e-mail address on their site, I was not able to do so, so how do you do this. HP, yes, but they are currently not on my short list.
       I skim read hundreds of reviews and forum comments on such computers and only recorded a few of which ones had what problem. Unfortunately I did not note this one, just that it occurred several times and later decided that it could be the bigest problem of all and that I wanted to avoid it
       I should have been more clear in my question, I did not mean to infer that HP had this probblem as I do not know. My HP comment was relative to the fact that they state on their support site that they do not intend to provide a Win7 driver for my printer – I did provide the model, CM1017 MFP. It sold in the $600-$700 range and while I don’t look forward to buying another one after less than 2-1/2 years, I like this one as it prints photos nearly as well as the better ink printers and not the low level color prints that are at best suitable for presentation pie charts and the like.

CyberD

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 01:10:22 PM »
        Computer_Commando
        Thanks for your reply.  I believe your comments hit the crux of the problem, there are not 32-bit drivers for an XP BIOS to load for a current 64-bit machine components such as the processor HD, RAM, monitor, etc. I saw several laptops that offered a downgrade to XP PRO. After digging into this I saw that only a downgraded single-core processor was availble for this, one unit was an ACER (TravelMate 8172 with a Pentium SU2700 or Core2 Duo SU9400 both in 64-bit and Core2 Solo SU3500 in 32-bit) and the other a Lenovo (ThinkPad X Series X200 (7458-G38) which normally comes with a Core 2 Duo P8700 processor. Still don’t know what my solution is.

CyberD

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 01:11:23 PM »
          Salmon Trout
          Also, thanks to you for your reply. My understanding of virtual machines is that the OS that is the basic one and in which the virtual machine software is the only printer driver that can be used. Thus, as you have done with a 64-bit as basic and virtual software on it and XP 32 bit OS in the virtual machine partition, software in the XP machine would be using the 64-bit printer of the 64-bit OS. With HP saying no 64-bit Win 7 driver for the CM1-17 MFP, I don’t know what to do.
          MS has created a bit of confusion, for me at least on virtual machines. When I had Vista 64-bit that came with my current laptop, they indicated that virtual machines could be used on any version. Now with Win7 32-bit Home Premium installed, MS says that virtual machines may only be installed on Win7  Professional or Ultimate.

Computer_Commando

Hacker

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 01:36:43 PM »
          My understanding of virtual machines is that the OS that is the basic one and in which
          the virtual machine software is the only printer driver that can be used.

I am not sure what exactly you are trying to say here, but it seems clear that your "understanding of virtual machines" is a bit incomplete.
          I installed the Canon 32 bit drivers in the 32 bit XP virtual machine which I created in VMware Player. Just like I would for an actual machine.
          I went into the VMWare Player settings and set the USB printer to connect to the VM on startup.

software in the XP machine would be using the 64-bit printer of the 64-bit OS.

No, the XP machine uses its own printer as I have already explained above.

Now with Win7 32-bit Home Premium installed, MS says that virtual machines may only be installed on Win7  Professional or Ultimate.

That is Microsoft's "XP Mode" which is given away with Windows 7 Professional, and not avaialable on Home versions.

I am not talking about that. I am talking about the free VMWare Player. Nothing to do with Microsoft.

Anyhow, this is all you need...

http://tinyurl.com/236g79o

Download drivers and software

HP Color LaserJet CM1015/CM1017 Multifunction Printer series

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)