Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to use and detect my computer microphone  (Read 7526 times)

Mrs. S. Izegbu

how to use and detect my computer microphone
« on: June 23, 2004, 03:58:00 PM »
Hello,

I would like to know how to use a computer microphone.

I bought one called CHATEAU Computer Microphone PS-800.

I installed it in the back of the computer that I know, but I don't knoww how to detect it or if it even working at all.

Please help if anyone knows.

Raptor

Re: how to use and detect my computer microphone
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 04:57:23 PM »
I'll just copy what I said before:

What software do you intend to use your microphone with. And what problems have you encountered testing your microphone so far?  

Assuming you plugged in the microphone jacks correctly.

Rather than reposting, you could try to keep updated on your old post.

chade

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 11:19:32 PM »
I'm not familiar with the model or brand - but there are basically two types of microphone - USB and standard audio.  If you're not familiar with the difference - its in the plug - USB is a large flat plug and standard audio plugs are very thin and round.

The USB-type microphones must be run off drivers - you should have received a driver CD/disk with your microphone if this is the case.  Once the drivers are installed you should be able to test it - the drivers will probably install a small program that will allow you to do this.  Chances are it will be set to auto-load with your computer, and will reside as an icon in the system tray.

The standard audio style microphones require no driver - but they do require a microphone-in plug on a sound card (or inbuilt sound if it came with your motherboard).  You just have to plug it into the right port (the one labelled 'mic' or perhaps with a picture of a microphone) and it will work.  Open the volume control (Control Panels->Sound) and check that your input volume for the microphone is high, and that it isn't muted.

If you're not sure what to do, or still have problems please post back with details of:

Your operating system
The type of microphone
The exact nature of the problem
Any programs you have used to test it
Any info that came with the microphone (particularly websites of the manufacturer, any driver information etc).

Rudy

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 06:58:00 PM »
There are some settings in the volume control that my be a problem

Try:

Start>Program Files>Accesories>Entertainment>Volume control

Under Options, go to Properties and check the microphone box.

Then click ok.  On the main Volume Control Screen, there should now be a section for the Microphone.  Check to make sure that the box that says "mute" is NOT checked.  Then you can adjust the volume.

Im sure there is a place you can test it too, but i really couldn't tell you where it is  :-/

Hope it helps!