Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Excel Form Help  (Read 2520 times)

Cherokee

Excel Form Help
« on: December 27, 2010, 07:56:28 PM »
Help! I own a small limousine company and would like to develop forms in Excel so that when clients call in I can easily type their information into the contract and have it nice and professional looking. How do I save my worksheet as a form and set cells up so that I can automatically enter text? If this rambling question is too big to answer in this setting, can you recommend a book or two for my reference library? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Tim

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Excel Form Help
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 10:24:07 AM »
See http://www.contextures.com/xluserform01.html.  For more references, do a Google search on creating forms with excel.  Access, might word equally well or better for this, depending on exactly what your requirements are. 

alexK

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 12:02:06 PM »
Cherokee,

Excel has some severe limitations! I.E Cell reference from one Worksheet to the next.
I agree with Soybean.
In your case, I would use MicroSoft Access. It will give you lots of flexibility, and better results. It is easy to learn.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 02:30:43 PM »
Excel has some severe limitations! I.E Cell reference from one Worksheet to the next.

What? You can reference cells in other worksheets and even entirely different files (workbooks). since some of the very earliest versions.

C:\file.xls!Sheet2!A3 for example

That being said what is being done here is the common trap of using a Excel spreadsheet to deal with database records. Access, or, depending on the scope of the application, a even bigger DB product (SQL Server, mySQL, Oracle) definitely would better manage the data better, they're designed for that very purpose after all.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.