Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Script for adding a printer  (Read 4609 times)

inchy97

Topic Starter

Beginner

• my comp
    Script for adding a printer
    « on: August 23, 2012, 09:55:49 PM »
    Hey i need a pro to help me program a script that will run and add a printer to out network

I work for a university and i in charge of imaging the computers in the labs, so having a script that will auto install for us would be amazing

This is what it needs to do

Go to Start --> Printers and Devices --> Add Printer.

Select Add a local printer

Create a new port > type of port: local port

Now assuming the print station name is correct Changing Printstation Names. Then for the port name type in: \\yourlabvp\vpinput (Ex. \\comstockvp\vpinput) --> OK.

Select the printer driver under Manufacturer: HP, Printer: HP LaserJet 4250 PCL6

Name the printer something like "YOURLABNAME printer"

So it looks like

Install
    - local port
    - port name "blah blah i can add that"
    - HP printer
    - name the printer "blah"

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Script for adding a printer
    « Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 11:00:37 AM »
    Your imaging .... have you ever played with RIS or WDS?

An ability to create a image template of how builds are to be and push these to machines through MS Server 2003 or 2008 over PXE Boot?  This can be used to roll out preconfigurations such as printers, mapped drives, and more.

Server 2003 has RIS while Server 2008 RIS was changed to WDS

I used this at the last job I had with over 300 workstations instead of Ghost. Only catch to using RIS is that you have to activate Windows Keys each time, but this is a good thing to avoid using say a Ghost image on like machines all running an activation prior to image on like hardware that doesnt break and your then in questionable hot water for duplicate boxes etc running the same keys.

Also while ghost or another imaging software is nice that you can push an image from say a DVD or 2 to build the systems, RIS and WDS works over the network so some consideration has to be made whether its the tool for you or not as for if you only have one network, you will be a bandwidth hog while its imaging which can impact users on the network. I ran a seperate network to avoid being a hog and impacting users with RIS.