Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Compaq Presario Battery Recall: Does it apply to me?  (Read 3008 times)

Tecilia

Compaq Presario Battery Recall: Does it apply to me?
« on: December 28, 2010, 12:37:12 PM »
I recently received a used Compaq Presario 2100 Notebook for my birthday, and its performance is less than satisfactory. I have to keep it plugged in because when it runs on battery power alone, even if it says it has 1 1/2 hours of battery left, it shuts down after about half an hour. I usually put the computer in standby when I'm not using it. Also, after about an hour's use, the computer will shut down with no warning. If I try to reboot it, it shuts down again before it even loads the screen that says "Compaq". I have to wait 5-10 minutes before it will turn on and run, and then it will shut down again within 30 minutes. I've also noticed that the notebook with get very hot after some time of using it, but I'm not sure whether or not this is standard for laptops. I researched it online and found that the battery for my computer was recalled in 2005. I checked the battery bar-code and it begins with L0, so it should apply to the recall. So what I'm wondering is whether or not I am still able to receive a free replacement battery or if it's too late. I put my data into the HP website and it said that "your battery is not affected or is not a part of the replacement program". Is this true, or is HP wrong? If I'm not eligible for a battery replacement, what are some suggestions to improve the quality of my laptop?

Some other info, if necessary:
I use a Windows XP Operating System
I mainly use my laptop for internet browsing and word processing, with a few games here and there. I would watch videos, but the quality is too crappy.
I use 11.7 GB out of my 27.9 GB capacity

Any help is appreciated and I thank you in advance!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Compaq Presario Battery Recall: Does it apply to me?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 05:29:57 PM »
My guess is that it is too late.
Was the laptop made in 2004?
That first recall was some time ago.
Description: The recalled lithium ion rechargeable battery packs are used with various HP and Compaq notebook computers (see list below). The recalled battery packs are a subset of those manufactured March 2004 through September 2004, and will have a bar code label starting with GC, IA, L0 or L

May we assume you read this? It applies to the USA. But to more recent models
The following notebooks are affected in this battery recall:
HP Pavilion: dv2000, dv2500, dv2700 (body style pictured below), dv6000, dv6500, dv6700, dx6000, dx6500, dx6700, dv9000, dv9500, dv9700
http://www.betanews.com/article/HP-extends-massive-battery-recall-for-overheating-notebooks/1274475837
try Google for Compaq battery recall
Or goto http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/recalls/index.html

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Compaq Presario Battery Recall: Does it apply to me?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 10:33:37 AM »
Your Notebook PC is at least 6 years old, as far as I can tell.  So, if that battery is the original one, it probably should be replaced.  I suggest looking a battery on Amazon.com; it can save you money.  I'm not sure exactly what battery you need but take a look here:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_23?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=laptop+batteries+for+hp&x=0&y=0&sprefix=laptop+batteries+for+hp#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=laptop+batteries+for+compaq+presario+2100&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Alaptop+batteries+for+compaq+presario+2100