Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't boot up  (Read 2377 times)

Suspect

Can't boot up
« on: August 09, 2005, 12:17:22 PM »
I have just installed a new PSU in a formerly dead computer. Now when I try to boot up it goes in this endless loop from start-up options screen to start-up options screen. None of the options actually gets windows to load. I've been through all of the options in Advanced start-up also. How can I figure out where the configuration problem is if I can't start the thing up?

merlin_2

Re: Can't boot up
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 03:13:48 PM »
System specs are!

Suspect

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 03:45:48 PM »
eMachines T1440
Celeron 1.4 GHZ
256K RAM
40 GB HDD
CD-RW
Non-functional 3.5" Drive

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 04:12:35 PM »
Try the following:

1. Before Windows starts, press F8
2. Choose last known good configuration
3. Press Enter.

Suspect

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 04:33:23 PM »
I've tried that. It just brings me back to that screen. Can I check the config that windows is working with against the config of the achine in question? I can place the hdd in question in another machine and access the files.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 04:40:55 PM »
Have you removed this HDD with an installation of Windows on it and then placed it in another computer? That may explain why it will not boot.

Suspect

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 05:20:22 PM »
I removed the drive with an installation of windows on it, and then put the drive back into the computer from whence it came. However, in an attempt to make the windows that it has compatible with a different machine, I copuied a hal.dll file to it that was not the same as the original.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 06:11:22 PM »
...I copuied a hal.dll file to it that was not the same as the original.

Suspect:

The HAL.dll you copied is most likely the cause of the problem.  Windows needs the correct HAL to communicate with your system's hardware.  Did you make a backup copy of the old HAL before you replaced it with the current one?

If not, doing a repair installation may be your only option:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

Regards,
Doc
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 06:12:40 PM by pcdoc4christ »