Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Router IP address malfunction???  (Read 5276 times)

kaminski77

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Router IP address malfunction???
    « on: December 29, 2010, 07:43:45 PM »
    To start with- I'm a computer idiot, and I understand this. 

My problem- I've had a Linksys WRT54G router and Comcast DSL for about 5 years.  I just began running the router wirelessly for my wife's laptop and my phone.  Initially, I noticed the connection was "open" and running without security.  I then researched it, and changed it to WEP.  We stopped using the wireless connection for awhile, and when I went back to it- my devices showed the system, but I could not connect.  I did a hard reset of the router and everything came back up properly, running password secured via WEP. 

Today I discovered my connection was unsecured again.  (No idea how this occurred) and I was unable to connect.  I went back into the set-up (192.168.1.1) and entered the password again, and my devices show the system properly secured, however my phone connects, states "obtaining  an IP address", then times out.  The lap top says "incorrect key or passcode."  I've tried switching between WEP and WPA and still the same results.  I've also tried changing the password multiple times, that too doesn't help.

I then disabled the security, and both devices connected immediately. 

I went back, retried all settings, even did another hard reset, and I'm still in the same situation. 

Again, I'm a computer idiot- I know the hardware is old, but for our minimal uses, it's worked fine- I really don't want to buy a new router; there must be something I'm doing wrong.  I've gone over all the settings, even reset to default, and still nothing.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!   ???

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Router IP address malfunction???
    « Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 08:34:12 PM »
    Don't feel bad, a lot of people have this problem. At its best Windows networking is very fussy. Granted your question properly we need to know exactly which version of the Windows operating system you're using. And we need to know if you have all the updates in place. There is a known issue and with windows XP service pack two. It displays the exact behavior you have described. It will work fine on an open system with no password, but when you try to set it up for a simple password-protected wireless it cannot work right. The answer to that ministry is just make sure you have service pack three and all the updates.
    And no, it's not really a problem of the router messing up the IP addresses. If that happened you would get a different kind of error message., Oh, I forgot to mention, if you have disabled the password protection on your wireless router, then you must tell Windows that you no longer using the password. Or some reason Windows doesn't know how to connect to a system with no security than previously he would use the password. Somehow computers don't remember things very well. Well, at least from the one running Windows.

And by the way I'm doing this with speech recognition software, so if you see a lot of funny things it's because my wife is in the next room watching a game program on TV and she LOL when somebody misses an answer.

kaminski77

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 09:00:04 PM »
      Well... this is where my computer illiteracy will shine... I know I have XP- as for what version...updates... no clue.  I'd have to imagine I haven't updated it... at all.  I did try finding/updating the Linksys router however- I had no luck.

One thing I did notice- it's working the opposite of what you described- it works fine when I disable the protection, however, it's when it's enabled that I'm getting the errors now. 

Conversely,  it was working fine, secured, since Christmas Eve... just yesterday it began acting up.  Dunno if someone hacked my account?  Just can't figure out why all of a sudden, it stopped working. 

Frustrating...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 09:09:29 PM »
      If you suspect somebody messed with your router, you can do a hard physical reset. Thee should be instructions on that in the manual. You get a toothpick nor a paper clip and sticking it into a pin hole with the power one. It takes about 20 seconds more or less. Then the router is back to the original factory settings.

On the bottom it should show the default address of the router. You have to have only one PC plugged in to it and you have to set the browser to goto the local IP of the router. It might be:
      Code: [Select]
      http://192.168.0.1 or something like that. You should see the router setup screen.

kaminski77

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 09:34:03 PM »
        I did a hard reset like you mentioned before posting... still nothing.  Its almost like its a password issue.. however, I reset the password in the admin section of the 192.168.1.1 address, which it requires for log in, but still it won't connect wirelessly with it.  The passwords working to get into the router controls, but not for wireless log on.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 09:53:24 PM »
        Th re router password and the wireless password are different, even if they are the same. They or independent. Do you have the manual for the router? It may have some tips for overcoming the problem.
        But what is strange is that it was working for so long and then it does not work anymore. I don't have a good answer for tat.
        Rather than you neuter being defective, it may be one of your computers has a strange virus that attempts to take over your network connections. Have you run  virus scans recently?

kaminski77

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 10:39:55 PM »
          yeah, I use Kaspersky- it last ran a full check on Sunday, and daily quick scans...

Also- no manual, it's approx 5 yrs old... I tried online tech support, but they want to charge me for it!
          « Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 10:52:37 PM by kaminski77 »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 11:12:48 PM »
          Well, back to the basics.
          You can turn off all your stuff, including the modem and the router, wait at least ten minuets. Then turn it all back on. Once in awhile a device just has to cool nof, even when the ambient temperature is normal. This happens to old  equipment and sometimes even to new.

Afr er that, try running the network wizard again on all your computers.  It is an easy way to make sure the protocols and stuff like that are  OK. And reset after doing the wizard.

Then there is network diagnostic software. Let the computer figure it out. Here is about the only one that works.
          http://NetWorkMagic.com

Look for "Buy Now / Download Free Trial " buy don't buy, just try. It should solve the problem in about half an hour or better. It will keep asking to unplug, plug, unplug  -  yada yada yada. But eventually nit does work. Most of the time.

Network Magic is a product of Cisco.
          And no, I don't work for them. Just wish I had some of their stock.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 10:26:05 AM »
          ... I know I have XP- as for what version...updates... no clue.  I'd have to imagine I haven't updated it...
          1.  Right-click My Computer, select Properties.  Tell us what system (XP-Home or XP-Pro) & Service Pack.
          2.  Control Panel, Automatic Updates.  What is selected (Automatic Updates)?

kaminski77

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 11:28:30 AM »
            Thanks for your patience guys!!!

I have XP Pro 2002, Service Pack 3.  Auto updates set daily...

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 03:00:01 PM »
            ...I've had a Linksys WRT54G router and Comcast DSL for about 5 years.  I just began running the router wirelessly for my wife's laptop and my phone.  Initially, I noticed the connection was "open" and running without security.  I then researched it, and changed it to WEP.  We stopped using the wireless connection for awhile, and when I went back to it- my devices showed the system, but I could not connect.  I did a hard reset of the router and everything came back up properly, running password secured via WEP...
            A couple questions:
            1.  You do understand that Comcast is not DSL, but cable?
            2.  What do you mean you run the router wirelessly for your phone?  Comcast uses a cable modem for computer and  an EMTA modem for telephone, in some markets it can be a shared modem with the computer, so I don't see where the Linksys router fits in with the phone, wired or wireless.

kaminski77

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 03:53:06 PM »
              A couple questions:
              1.  You do understand that Comcast is not DSL, but cable?
              2.  What do you mean you run the router wirelessly for your phone?  Comcast uses a cable modem for computer and  an EMTA modem for telephone, in some markets it can be a shared modem with the computer, so I don't see where the Linksys router fits in with the phone, wired or wireless.

Please refer back to my original post- self-proclaimed COMPUTER IDIOT!  lol!

My cell phone picks up the wi-fi from the router.  Both the cell and the laptop ran fine for awhile, suddenly they won't connect... the cell claims its waiting for an IP address, then disconnects.  The laptop says password error.  No one (that I know of, barring a hacker) has had access to, or changed the password.  Now when I disable the security, both the phone and laptop connect without any problems.  Meanwhile, throughout all this, the hardwired desktop stays connected regardless of the router secured/non-secured...

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              « Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 05:07:43 PM »
              That's a very popular router:  http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WRT54G
              Read through the FAQ's; one of them took me to this:  http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=3696
              I've never set up security on a wireless router.  Most don't, and now you know why.  Do you really need the extra security?  If the nearest neighbor is more than a couple hundred feet, they won't be able to connect through your router.  The signals are just not that strong.

kaminski77

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 08:51:06 PM »
                That's a very popular router:  http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WRT54G
                Read through the FAQ's; one of them took me to this:  http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=3696
                I've never set up security on a wireless router.  Most don't, and now you know why.  Do you really need the extra security?  If the nearest neighbor is more than a couple hundred feet, they won't be able to connect through your router.  The signals are just not that strong.

I really don't know if I do...   I noticed on my phone all the neighbors connections are secured, but like you said, although I pick it up, theres a very poor signal strength...

I'll check through the link and see if I can find anything.  Thank you for your help!

kaminski77

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 08:56:24 PM »

WORKS, WORKS, WORKS!!!!!!!!   THANK YOU!!!!  simple computer illiteracy on my part... I didn't realize the "shared key" was the password... I found it in the link you gave me!!!!

Thank you so much for your help!